Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to Buy: Help me Decide between 2 2004 LR Discoverys

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:47 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to Buy: Help me Decide between 2 2004 LR Discoverys

Hi! I am brand new to the forum and wanted to get some opinions on what LR I should go with:

#1: 2004 HSE7 Fair Condition Dark Grey w/black interior. It was a city car in Chicago (lots of salt, pot holes etc) Minor dent in the back from backing into a loading dock. Besides that the brakes aren't very responsive (prb need replacing soon) and there is an issue with the SLS in the rear, apparently it's leaking and you have to press the button every so often (does anyone know how much this costs to fix?).
Also it has the Tow Package, Heated Seats etc

67K $8800 (KBB $12K)

#2 2004 S Fair Condition (maybe less than fair) Black with Tan (no piping) interior. Atlanta car. Missing a windshield wiper, cracked windshield, and the ABS and SRS lights are on

53K $7200 (KBB $7.6K)

From reading the forums, I understand that both will probably need the front gaskets replaced soon. What would you guys suggest?

Based on KBB value it seems that #1 is a much better deal, but I don't really see that I'll be using the options (I have nothing to tow and no kids to cart around in a 7 seater), although I do like the heated seats and the luxury look. Also, #1 has rear parking sensors which I really like as I parallel park in the city every day.

Last edited by littlelady; 11-30-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:55 PM
Drifting

Both cars sound really great! I personally would go with the first choice, as it seems to be a really great deal and you obviously like many of the features that it has, even if not all of them are completely necessary for your daily needs. I also parallel park on a daily basis at school, and I think that having the parking sensors would be a big plus. Your best bet would probably be to have them both inspected by a mechanic and you are completely right in thinking that the head gaskets will need to be done soon. Your mechanic can let you know on the condition of them currently. Good luck in your search, let us know which one you end up picking!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would guess that anybody who rolls around with a missing wiper isn't concerned too much with mainainence, which would be the deciding factor with any disco.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Winching

Sorry to tell you but I wouldn't pick neither. By the time that you fix the problems on either of them you will be past the KBB value and still have a vehicle in fair or less than fair condition cosmetically. Replacing the windshield, fixing the air suspension, fixing the ABS system, and fixing the SRS are all big ticket items and that is not including all of the maintenance items that are going to have to be addressed like the 60k mile service. Keep looking and take your time. I looked at 7 or 8 before I bought mine. Mine was the only turn key one and I still had to spend $1,000 in the first year on the 60k mile service and other misc things that needed addressing.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by tweakrover
I would guess that anybody who rolls around with a missing wiper isn't concerned too much with mainainence, which would be the deciding factor with any disco.
/this

I agree with buick215, I would pass on both.

The key to purchasing a Disco 2 is to find one that has been taken care of and properly maintenanced, especially if your not into turning wrenches (do not know a lot about cars/trucks etc).
________
Weed

Last edited by sloan74; 03-24-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Mudding

Niether one

Old 12-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the rust on #1 will make repairs grow exponentially...

Old 12-01-2010, 11:15 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you can wheel and deal and get the prices WAY down, I'd pass also, X10 on sounding like they've been neglected(sad because the 2004 was a good year for the Disco), plus they are both right smack dab in the middle of the head gasket fail range so you'd be dealing with that sooner or later if it hasn't been done already.

Do you plan on buying a Rover for a daily city driver only? Do you plan on doing the maintenance yourself?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:21 PM
6th Gear

OK, so herein lies my problem then. I have been scouring CL, ebay, Auto Trader, Cars.com etc for the last 6 months to find what I am looking for: 2004 Disco with less than 75K miles preferably in White with Beige (with black piping) interior for 10Kish.

So far, this is as close as I've gotten-- any suggestions on how else to find it? I have word out at the local dealerships, a CL alert up, and a bi-weekly online search that I do and these are the top 2 results I have gotten.... ugh.

What's a girl to do?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:22 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
Unless you can wheel and deal and get the prices WAY down, I'd pass also, X10 on sounding like they've been neglected(sad because the 2004 was a good year for the Disco), plus they are both right smack dab in the middle of the head gasket fail range so you'd be dealing with that sooner or later if it hasn't been done already.

Do you plan on buying a Rover for a daily city driver only? Do you plan on doing the maintenance yourself?
Yes, daily city driver, my boyfriend will be doing some of the simpler maintenance and we'll have a local mechanic in Chicago do the rest.

Quick Reply: About to Buy: Help me Decide between 2 2004 LR Discoverys