Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to Buy: Help me Decide between 2 2004 LR Discoverys

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:25 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agthird
the rust on #1 will make repairs grow exponentially...
Yes, but I'm in Chicago so that's kind of what I'm dealing with

Old 12-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where are you located? Before you consider any Rover, you need to know a lot of details about the history and care of that specific vehicle. Including a detailed inspection of that vehicle by an independent third party, even if it is a dealership.

These are very expensive to maintain, so most do end up being ignored and then dumped on the next person to come along. Be very careful before you plop your money down. Don't fall in love with the brand and feel that your Rover will take you anywhere anytime. They do tend to have major issues and an unknown used one does not make a good daily driver usually.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 PM
6th Gear

I'm located in Chicago (the W Loop). So you suggest that I purchase from a Dealer then? Or a meticulously maintained 1st owner?

#1 actually has very complete service records. It was maintained at a dealer for the first 2 years, and for the remainder of it's life it was maintained at the local mechanic (it was a fleet vehicle for a local events company).

Old 12-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by littlelady
I'm located in Chicago (the W Loop). So you suggest that I purchase from a Dealer then? Or a meticulously maintained 1st owner?

#1 actually has very complete service records. It was maintained at a dealer for the first 2 years, and for the remainder of it's life it was maintained at the local mechanic (it was a fleet vehicle for a local events company).
First off, welcome.

Secondly, especially given that the first one has service records, I'm not scared of the price. It's not an especially good DEAL per se, but it's fair. I'd wheel and deal as much as possible to get the price lower.

But perhaps you're throwing us off by your judgment of "fair" condition? A windshield and missing wiper doesn't alone drag a vehicle down to fair condition IMO. Now if the engine is missing, has scratches and peeling clear coat, and a tear or two in the interior, we're getting close to fair.

The mileage is low enough that if you're committed to regular, IMMEDIATE maintenance, you should be ok. If they had 100k on them I would definitely pause and think about it. At any rate, I like the HSE myself.

BUT here's more to the point that others have made: this is an expensive vehicle to maintain, not so much because parts are expensive (though that's part of it), but because they break down a LOT. And if you don't stay all up ON that girl she's gonna get witchy QUICK.

I suggest your BF become a member here and start his wrenching career with your new darling.

Last edited by ShortTom; 12-01-2010 at 03:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Not Gabe (01-07-2020)
Old 12-01-2010, 03:21 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the welcome

He's lurking on here, and ready for the challenge. Honestly, the biggest challenge with "wrenching" is that we live in the city and we have no where to work on the car. My parking spot is in a dark corner of a garage, and no place to keep shop tools. Still, I have been dying to have this car for years now and he also has the itch. I have considered keeping my VW jetta as a backup daily driver as well.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:08 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

I have considered keeping my VW jetta as a backup daily driver as well.
Best idea ever!

Old 12-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep an eye out at dealerships in the area. I bought my 03 with 50K in excellent condition from the Naperville, IL BMW dealer. The owner traded it in for a BMW (can imagine why???) I have a pile of an inch thick service records. It's been a great Disco for the year I've owned it and I enjoy working on the beasts.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Mudding

These things are high maintenance beasts. Most 65k mile plus discos are in need of a lot of updating and reconditioning. eBay and auto trader are your best bet... Be prepared to travel tho. 10k should easily get you one...I'll keep my eye out...

Old 12-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, daily city driver, my boyfriend will be doing some of the simpler maintenance and we'll have a local mechanic in Chicago do the rest.
Unless you have a good backup car, are going skilled enough to do your own maintenance, and can talk them down at least a grand, I'd pass on both. You can find nicer ones for that price. Personally, I would see if the dealer can find what you are looking for and If you can get something like what you want for under 10 grand, jump on it. I see many of them for that price. Then get a warranty and you will be all set.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Here are 7 Rovers to keep your drewling. I traveled from Indy to D.C. to buy mine. Up in Chicago you should be able to find a good one.
I got mine with 49k on it and did the 65k maintenance. Its been great since.

1. This is what put Discovery's on the map.

Land Rover : Discovery (290503327228)
  1. Some serious TJM bumper action

Land Rover : Discovery (160508692132)
This is a Yellow G4 edition only a few imported, I'll take the Bordego Orange myself

Land Rover : Discovery (120649378744)
(Reserve Not Met)

4. Here is a nice 2004 with some lights ready rock

Land Rover : Discovery (380291669374)
(Reserve Not Met)

Ready for a 4.6L in a D1 with a 5” lift

Land Rover : Discovery (150524672618)

You want a OD Green Romper.

Enlarge

Land Rover : Discovery (280593331968)
(Reserve Not Met)

And another Trek edition for Good measure