Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? about plugs and wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about plugs and wires

I have a 2001 Disco II v8, 4wd 4.0. Do I need special plugs and wires or will my local auto parts store suffice?

TIA

Sparky
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ? about plugs and wires

Magnacore wire is good. Gotta go with platinum plugs, I've got Bosch and am happy with them. Don't let them talk you into regular plug. They don't burn hot enough.
Ed

Old 06-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

You must order plug wires and as already mentioned Magnacor 8mm, wires are about the best way to go.
How many miles are on your truck, are you aware of the difficulty of replacing the wires?
I would suggest using the Bosch Platium Plus 4 plugs, #4418.
Mike

Old 06-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Drifting

It has 120,000+ miles and no I really don't know how difficult they are to change out. I have a shade tree mechanic that says he has changed them before on a land rover. Acually he's more like a friend who says he can do it. Anyway, how difficult is it and where do you recommend I buy the Magnacor and Bosch supplies? Would Atlantic British or British Pacific be the most cost effective or do you know of a place better?

Thanks,

Sparky
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

The best place on line to buy the plugs and wire would be thru Tony, give him a call at 650-365-4145, actually he will be on vacation till next Thursday, but he does have the best price out there for the Magnaco's.
As for installing them, most people pull the top half of the intake manifold off to get a better shot at the coil packs located behind the engine on top of the tranny.
With that mileage, you should consider replacing your 92 sensors if you want to regain some lost power.
Mike

Old 06-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Drifting

Mike,

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to engines especially land rover engines. Could you tell me a little more about the 92 sensors and their affect on performance?

Thanks,

Sparky
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Administrator

I made a typyo, I ment to say the 92 sensors. On your D2, you have 4 of then and at 100,000 they no longer give the best feed back to the ECU hence your power and MPG fall off.
Mike

Old 06-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sparky,
I just changed my O2 sensors pre and post cat on both sides bout 3 months ago on my 2000 Disco II. Your LR engine computer uses the signals from these sensors to change fuel mixture to the engine and this is an ongoing process. When the sensors get old, their response time slows down and may even stop working altogether. If the O2 sensors stop working altogether, your engine computer reverts to an open mode ( meaning that it will disregard the O2 sensors information altogether). At this point your fuel mixture will be fixed at a predetermined level.

Changing O2 sensors aren't all that bad. I'm a small guy and crawled underneath the LR without the aid of jacks. Took about an hour for all four sensors. You gotta make sure that the contacts "click" ,insuring a good connection, when you install them.

Pricewise anywhere from $ 69 on up per sensor.

Good Luck,
Ed

Old 06-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Would that have any connection with the Traction control(TC) and ABS light being on because they are both on? A mechanic told me that it had something to do with that year Disco II having problems with the ABS Modulator. He said that I could fix it for 2-3K and have a new modulator installed but it wouldn't guarrantee that the lights wouldn't come on again. He said just live with the lights being on.

Thanks,

Sparky
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Sparky the 02 sensors have nothing to do with your trio being on. The only way to know for sure what is wrong is to have someone with a good scanner read the codes and go from there.
Mike

Quick Reply: ? about plugs and wires