Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

about to start head gasket job on 99 discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to start head gasket job on 99 discovery II

I bought this discovery about a year ago it ran well and supposedly had just had the head gaskets replaced and the bolts replaced with studs.
About a month after I had it I noticed it was using oil and a bit of coolent .
It now uses quite a bit of oil esp at high rpm say above 3k
And you can smell the antifreeze burning. So headgaskets and timing chain I guess seeing it has 160k miles. Sad as otherwise is a solid truck and still runs great. So the real question is can I reuse the studs or do I need to replace them?
Also any brand gaskets recommended? I have already found a landrover frendly shop to have the heads checked. Any other advice?

Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you truly have ARP studs they are reusable. if you going to do the timing chain do the oil pump at the same time, how old is the water pump you will be removing? I have been using AB gaskets for years with no problems

Last edited by drowssap; 11-18-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, I'm guessing you really check out the engine. Burnt antifreeze smell can come from the throttle body heater leaking dripping on the valve cover and then onto the Catalytic converter. Trust me when I bought my latest Discovery, it was leaking a Gallon a week, easily. And the oil can leaking from a number of spots including the time chain cover, valve covers, real seal, oil filter and heads and I'm sure I'm missing a spot or two.

So I'm all into doing work when it should be done. But your post says the heads were done recently and the car runs well. Now if your positive it's the heads do them. But if your guessing here, take it to a shop explain your concern and spend a 100 bucks to make sure.

Have them pressure test the coolant or check your oil for coolant. Even have them look for the oil leak.

I am not criticizing here I just want to make sure your spending the cash in the right places.

Last edited by xxdoylexx; 11-18-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Overlanding

No leaks it is burning the missing oil and antifreeze no question. Lol you can rev it up to about 3.5k and see a black spot from the tailpipe

Old 11-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Cassidy Bodle
No leaks it is burning the missing oil and antifreeze no question. Lol you can rev it up to about 3.5k and see a black spot from the tailpipe
Black from the tailpipe usually means a rich fuel mixture, blue means burning oil, white is antifreeze. If it is oil, other causes for burning oil could be, valve seals/guides, piston rings.

Pull the plugs to see if any are fouled. They should be a tan color for a correct running engine.

Last edited by acamato; 11-18-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Make sure your PCV system is clean, too. Might be source of oil consumption, although it usually causes more issues with seal leaks. If you are burning a lot of oil and coolant you should be having issues with your O2 sensors. But incorrectly installed head gaskets are a definite possibility. I had a P38 that my brother-in-law had before me that ended up having the head gaskets done twice. He bought it used with an extended warranty so he had it done at a dealership and they screwed it up. It had to go to another dealership to have them done again within 8,000 miles.

I would say that a cooling system pressure check and a compression test are in order regardless. If you are willing to take on a head gasket replacement, you can easily perform those tests with loaner tools from the parts store.

Also, I noticed you said no leaks. Are you sure it's a Rover? If so, is it empty?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would pressure test the block. I just had the same problem and now have to pull the engine and sleeve it. really look hard at your gasket when you take it off to make darn sure thats the problem. Just trying to save you the time that I didnt get to.

1999 Disco 2 coolant burner 205000km
2003 Disco broken cam crank ( parts )
1999 Disco SE7 300000km ( parts )

Old 11-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck, there is a guy on ebay bay, his store is lrparts. hey also has a website called lucky8llc.com. Great prices

they answer the phone.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Overlanding

Ok maybe I should say no major external leaks .....no puddles. Nothing to suggest where
3 quarts of oil would go in a few hours of driving

Old 11-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

3 quarts in a few hours, holy lord. It may be more than head gaskets.

Quick Reply: about to start head gasket job on 99 discovery II