Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The ABS Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 12:14 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The ABS Situation ::..

Hello Roverers...

Background...
1.- I've had the "3-Amigos" on since I've had my 2002 Disco SII SE (over 5 yrs), and I've had no apparent issues with my braking, except for the P1590 "Rough Road Signal" code popping up;
2.- Front Passenger caliper replaced over a year or more ago with a salvaged part -the one mounted was getting stuck; no issues after replacement, except for the occasional pull to the left when braking, since I did not replace the left one then;
3.- In another occasion, the repair-guy accidentally broke the Front Driver ABS Sensor while replacing parts on front suspension, and BRAKE light came on since, and it is still on; so I know for sure that Front Left ABS Sensor is broken; and
4.- Lost braking power recently -pedal was going all the way to the bottom with minimum-to-none braking power; after having putting it off for a couple of months, I finally had the master cylinder & booster replaced at the end of last week, and finally recovered braking power; car does brake fine, but pedal feels spongy, and pedal need to travel past half-way point for actual braking to occur; I was hoping it would now brake as soon as I stepped on the brakes; I'll have the mechanic give it a look, but any feedback from you guys would be appreciated.

Now back to the ABS situation; last repair-guy hooked up his computer and finally showed the ABS codes to me, which I will share with you in an attempt to find feedback to clear-up the 3-Amigos, and finally get the ABS to work (dunno when it stopped working and why; it hasn't since I've owned the truck)...
I know Front Left Sensor is broken, so might this be the reason for all these three failures?...
37 - Front Left Sensor Electrical Failure
82 - Front Left Outlet Valve (Open Circuit)
105 - Front Left Sensor Electrical Failure
---
117 - Front Right Sensor (Output Intermittent)
---
104 - Rear Left Sensor Electrical Failure
---
83 - Rear Right Inlet Valve (Open Circuit)
84 - Rear Right Outlet Valve (Open Circuit)
92 - Rear Right Sensor (Output Too Low)
111 - Rear Right Inlet Valve (Internal Supply)
112 - Rear Right Outlet Valve (Internal Supply)
120 - Rear Right Sensor (Output Intermittent)

2002 Discovery SII SE - ABS Codes
I hope this info will shed some light on what steps I need to take in order to correct these issues, your feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance! ;-]#

Old 10-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 229 Likes on 182 Posts

Why have you not done the Option B solution?

I would start with that, clear codes, and then tackle anything that is left over

Old 10-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco

I would start with that, clear codes, and then tackle anything that is left over
Because it was also recommended to first have the actual codes read, before attempting any solution. ;-]#

Old 10-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best thing to do (on any car) before reading codes is to clear the computer entirely and then drive the vehicle for a week or so, this way you're sure that every code that comes up is real and current.

There could be old/irrelevant codes in the system. Clear everything, drive for about 100-200 miles, then check again. Then you'll really know what you're looking at.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (10-11-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 04:45 PM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

as well as option b, i would replace the front left hub. the ebay $80 ones work just fine. the abs sensor is mounted in it so you don't have to try and repair anything or align them. just remember to install the o-ring so your transmission fluid doesn't leak out.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco

While I often recommend starting with Option B, that's when the codes aren't available. In this case, we have the codes and the 114 Shuttle Valve Switch Electrical Failure is not one of them.

I agree with Friday Night Disco and thom_77 that the long list of codes reported is a lot to work with. I hope the OP had them cleared. If the Boys from South of the Border come back have them read again and address whatever codes are most current.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:14 PM
Winching

Thank you all for your input, here's an update...

Today I had the ABS codes cleared, and mechanic showed me that indeed no codes were showing up; we also cleared "P1590 - ABS rough road signal circuit malfunction" from ECU.

However, "3-Amigos" never went off, they are still lit; BRAKE light is still on; I'm sure because of broken Front Driver ABS sensor -it's the only part I know for sure is broken, and BRAKE light came on as soon as it broke, so I know for sure what is keeping it lit.

I will drive for a week or so, and check to see if P1590 reappears, as well as any ABS codes, and report back.

In any case, would the broken ABS sensor we know of also be keeping the "3-Amigos" lit?

Anything else I should be looking into in order to tackle this issue?

Thanks and have a safe weekend!

Old 10-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, broken ABS sensor would keep the amigos lit.

Keep doing what you're doing; drive it, read the codes, then see where you're really at.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Yes, a "broken" ABS sensor will trigger the Three Amigos. And anytime the Three Amigos appear you're going to get the 1590 code. But what exactly do you mean by "broken ... ABS sensor?" Do you mean the wire is broken? If so, just splice them back together!

Old 10-11-2019, 06:13 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Regarding the spongey brake feeling after the booster and brake master cylinder were replaced. I would double check that the brakes were bleed properly. Any air in the system or lines can cause the spongey pedal feel. I recently did the same repair (booster & MC) to my D2 and bleed them manually twice but now have achieved great braking once again. It's a bit of work but well worth the effort.

With everything said prior I would fix or replace the bad ABS sensor, bleed the brakes, clear all codes and go from there.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: ..:: The ABS Situation ::..