Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ac just stopped blowing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ac just stopped blowing (update ac/heater blower fixed)

So this morning my wife went to take my son out and the ac in the truck stopped blowing. The rear ac works, the ac panel in the front works, the ac compressor kicks on, and the ac fan up front kicks on, no blown fuses. Only problem is that it's not blowing out any air up front. I check the tech articles and I see that I need to check the power at the blower motor under the glove box? It also states I need to pull the fuse box on the driver’s side and check the connections on the rear. I’m not much of an electrical guy and I don’t have a multi meter but I can pick one up and learn.

Any help or a point in the right direction would be great, and suggestions on a multi meter would be great also. I got to try and fix this today my wife is 38 weeks pregnant and she needs air.

Thanks

Last edited by aroshan; 09-10-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Three Wheeling

So I picked up a multi-meter today,

Amazon.com: INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter: Automotive Amazon.com: INNOVA 3320 Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter: Automotive

And have been trying to get familiar with it. I tested all the fuses and they were ok. I’ll pick up some alligator clips tomorrow to test the relays. I found a way to let the system self-diagnosis on you tube.

My codes were 21 and 22 sunlight sensor left and right output.

I’m pretty lost here so tomorrow I’ll get alligator clips and test the blower to the battery.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 PM
Three Wheeling

I am also following this threads procedures.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...itioner-43493/

After I unplugged the blower motor I set my multi-meter to DC V and stuck the red into what I assume is the power and black into ground inside the plug that goes to the motor. Each time I retry with the ac controls on it shows 10.22 volts. From what the forum says I need at least 12 volts.

I guess I’ll have to pull the fuse box under the driver’s side and check it out. It’s been a lot to learn here on day one.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 08-27-2014, 05:03 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ac not blowing

i have the same problem
any luck?

i change blower motor
changed solar sensor
changed resistor
still nothing

Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Follow the instructions in the thread I linked above and run a temporary jumper from the fuse block under the hood next to the battery compartment to the fuse block inside. Crimp a spade connector onto the end of the jumper and plug it into the fuse block. You'll want to use an in-line fuse holder for a 30 amp fuse in your jumper. You'll have to look at the thread above for exactly what fuse position to plug it into. If this makes your fan run, then you have a faulty fuse block and will need to run a permanent jumper and in-line fuse. You can buy a new fuse block if you'd rather but they're expensive and a pain to switch out.

Old 08-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Three Wheeling

the blower has been working on and off the last 2 days, last night i pulled the blower and did the clean out on it reinstalled just cause i had the glove box removed. today i should get my new used interior fuse box. hopefully the swap will work or i'll just follow the hard-wire instructions.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:54 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those two codes should go away if you do the test in the sun. ifs its dark or there is a sun shade covering the sensor, it will throw the sun sensor codes.

or they code be bad.

Last edited by MetalMarine; 08-31-2014 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Pro Wrench

Same here. I think it is corrosion caused by leaking sunroof and/or cowl which allows water to ruin the headliner and soaks the front driver carpet. Taping up sunroofs seemed to stop most the water incursion before I redo roof. Leak test req.

I checked and rotated all fuses. Pushed around all connections and played with the sunlight sensor which is damaged and then ran code check on the controls. Next time I started car both ACs blew air. Still should be colder and blower should run smoother. So obviously I have to locate corrosion and fix and/or use permanent jump method. Probably rotate brush on blower (?) And switch out gas which has not leaked. I need good AC.

Pep boys wanted over 2k to replace system. Wouldn't do it there...just wanted estimate.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Three Wheeling

ok i'm at it again to get this blower running. i think the 03-04 wiring is different from other d2's.

i install a new used interior fuse box and even looked at all the plugs and did not find a brown and pink wire.

new used fuse box did not work, i also just received my new used under hood fuse box but i want to start over and show pic's.

here is the multi meter i'm using
Name:  CAM00091.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  61.4 KB

testing fuse 7 the blower
Name:  CAM00093.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  34.8 KB

at first i get
Name:  CAM00095.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  48.7 KB

then i after a few seconds it drops to, this is on speed 1-4
Name:  CAM00096.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  48.4 KB

on max speed i get
Name:  CAM00100.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  48.2 KB

i try to test fuse 6 the ac but its spuratic to give any reading

now i test volts going to the blower plug, here is max speed
Name:  CAM00104-1.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  39.4 KB
Name:  CAM00105.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  35.4 KB

now i test speed 1-4 all the same readings
Name:  CAM00106.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  48.0 KB
Name:  CAM00107.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  38.0 KB

i pulled both relays on the right side of the blower assembly and test them they both click over and get continuity on the other prongs so they work.

i check this plug for any burnt marks and it looks good.
Name:  CAM00108.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  32.9 KB
Name:  CAM00109.jpg
Size:  30.7 KB

now this plug is last inline going stright to behind the fuse box and there are no brown and pink wires on it. this is why i'm thinking the 03-04 wiring colors are different.

i dont have a rave cd i just pull up the workshop manuel online.

any advice would be great and link to the hard wire directions would be awsome aswell. from what i understand is that there is a brown and pink wire behind the fuse box i need to pull, add an inline fuse and run it to just after this plug
Name:  CAM00109.jpg
Size:  30.7 KB

and i should be good?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CAM00109.jpg (30.7 KB, 58 views)

Quick Reply: ac just stopped blowing