Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident in Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012 | 09:54 PM
|
4wd Low
Default Accident in Disco II

So Sunday night I was on my way to see my girlfriend in the hospital when a guy runs a red light and turns left right in front of me. I just got the estimate back from the body shop and they are going to total it. Here is a picture of the damage and of the pt cruiser that hit me. My question is do you guys think it would be worth it for me to by back the salvage from the ins company and fix it myself.
Thank You
Dave O.

Attached Thumbnails Accident in Disco II-imag1612.jpg   Accident in Disco II-imag1613.jpg  
Old 12-03-2012 | 10:12 PM
Pro Wrench

Depends on the condition of the rest of the vehicle. It doesn't look that bad. If the rest of it was in good shape then a fender, a headlight and a nice aftermarket bumper and you are well on your way. If you will be paying someone else to do the work, it starts to look a little less worth it. If the vehicle had 140,000 miles and some issues when it got hit, take the cash and get something else.

Old 12-03-2012 | 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

What year is it and how much are they giving you? How much to buy it back?

Old 12-03-2012 | 10:19 PM
|
4wd Low

Its a 2000 with 115000 on it and the rest is in great shape. Air bags did not deploy. in fact it was still running after the impact. no fluid on the ground from it. I think I would still be driving it if the fender wasn't up against the tire. I bought it last year with about 105000 on it.
I will find out tomorrow how much they are going to give me on it. And I will find out what the by back will be.
Dave O.

Old 12-03-2012 | 10:23 PM
Rock Crawling

I can't offer you advice. I can only say what I would do. I would buy it back and fix it.

Old 12-03-2012 | 10:29 PM
|
4wd Low

That is the way I am leaning right now. It all depends on what the by back is. I would think I could get the estimate from the body shop and that would tell me what work needs to be done to it. I just love this Disco to much to let it go when the rest of it is still in great shape.
Dave O.

Old 12-03-2012 | 10:48 PM
Mudding

It looks pretty minor. I would buy it back and fix it.

Old 12-03-2012 | 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle

My guess $3-4K to repair it as the body shop estimate, based on my slight bump with a deer a couple years back when I first got my D2 that cracked my front bumper on one corner and bent a brace just under the headlight trim, and broke the fog light. New bumper, new fog light, new brace and couple misc. parts and labor, $1,250 was the repair costs.

Old 12-03-2012 | 11:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Wow...looks like the PT must have bounced off the Disco!

Do the math on the total payout and buy back and then determine if that spread is worth your time and effort vs taking the total payout and buying another LR. If you wouldn't be able to find one in as good of condition of yours, fixing it makes sense.

Old 12-03-2012 | 11:36 PM
Winching

Sadly it might not be worth fixing even if it looks minor. You can buy a used one for $4,000 these days. Yours might end up costing the same or more even if you do the work yourself and source used parts. These are questions that you have to ask yourself. Am I going to need a radiator, air filter box, washer reservoir, suspension/ steering parts? Am I going to find a fender of the same color or am I going to have to get it painted? How much is a used fender, bumper, headlight and misc parts going to run? Am I going to fix or replace the bonnet? Is the frame where the bumper mounts bent? It really all boils down to how cheap you can buy the truck back.

Quick Reply: Accident in Disco II