Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acute stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Do you have anything to read codes? I got an Autocom cdp+ for Christmas, and it found stored codes that my scangauge did not. It ended up needing a new Coolant Temp Sensor and Throttle position Sensor.
There were events logged that I would have thought would throw the service engine soon light on. They didn’t and I noticed strange shifting behavior, and it turned out the temp semsor thought it was -40 and the tranny couldn’t operate safely. I mean, it was cold, but not that cold.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

You didn't mention the recent fill-up in your original post. This could be key, not that I would suspect water, more of a fuel quality issue. Most in ground tanks, anymore, are so well monitored that water would be virtually improbable.

Was the station your wife fueled up at a normally used location? Or a station that gets lots of activity? Buying premium can be tricky in some areas. Bought a tank full of premium at a one-horse-town gas station once...and my car ran awful. Got about 5 mpg and thought I was going to be walking on a couple occasions. Took two tank fulls to finally get all of the bad gas worked through the system.

Last fuel seminar I sat through, without falling a sleep, the fuel gurus putting on the class said...the shelf life of most fuels nowadays is three or four months (depending on ethanol levels).

Brian.

Old 01-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update

Again thanks to all that replied.

I have been waiting for parts...got the wrong MAF sensor. I decided to just replace all that was suggested. New filter, new MAF, new TPS, used idle control. Damn thing is...appparently when I was on top of the motor replacing the coils, I must have hooked the radiator overflow with my foot. Yep, it’s broke. The repair is curing in the somewhat warmer weather. (Driveway mechanic).

I’ll ll start it tomorrow and see how things go. Full radiator replacement will have to wait until spring.

Brian- gas might have been an issue, but no traces of water in the tank. Cheap gas wouldn’t have caused this problem. Run crappy, yes, bad gas mileage, yes, but it would still run. This truck was in permanent limp mode a month ago.

I will update tomorrow.

Rufus

Old 01-21-2018, 12:08 PM
Overlanding

There has been no change. New MAF, new TPS and idle control didn't touch the issue. I also cleaned the throttle body and replaced the air filter.

It is still missing, still wants to die...If I coax it above 2000K rpms the check engine light flashes. No power, no speed.

I'm officially out of ideas.

Rufus.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:33 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

plz let me know if you are having p1171 p1174

Old 01-21-2018, 12:43 PM
Overlanding

Not sure what those codes are...I don’t have a reader, and the truck is stuck in the driveway. I don’t think I could limp to town anyway.
Only thing I know is originally the truck was giving the codes for misfires.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:53 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

The best way to check codes. Misfires could be anything. Even a basic shop check codes to start diagnosing something. If you can get even a generic reader from harbor freight, that will do the job. It will save you from guessing.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:55 PM
Overlanding

Just ordered one about 20 minutes ago.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

It started running poorly after getting fuel. Possible debris in line or plugged injectors?

Old 01-21-2018, 06:59 PM
Overlanding

That would make sense. I don’t have a way to test them, at least not in my driveway.

I’m afraid this 2 ton “driveway stop” will have to sit here until my code reader gets here or until I have enough $ to get it to the shop. I’m not willing to throw good money after bad on $400 injectors at this point.

I think it’s something stupid. Maybe a lift on a rack...maybe she ran over something and pulled a wire underneath.

My old Bonnieville wouldn’t start one morning...turns out the dogs pulled the O2 sensor wire chasing after a chipmunk. Six months later, the damn thing died in my driveway. That turned out to be a grounding block in the body under the door. Modern cars.....pppppfffttttt!

Quick Reply: Acute stalling problem