Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding 3rd Row Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding 3rd Row Seats?

So, I bet there is a way to add the third row seats to your SE/SD. Has anyone heard of this being done before? If so, can you detail what parts and procedures are involved in such a process. I've done a search but came up with very little. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Adding 3rd Row Seats?

The floor pan is different when the 3rd row seats are installed at the factory, as far as I know it won't work well or be safe.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you can in a D1, but in a D2, they latch to the floor, and as Mike said, you have to cut out the floor pan and change it...

Old 01-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Mudding

Oh duh, I've seen that. I am sure one can find a wrecked Disco and cut out the snap-in/bolt hole deals that the 3rd row seats set into, and weld them in the proper location.Aside fromthat issue, can they be bolted in?

Old 01-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Camel Trophy

I am not sure, but remember to look at the little head rest things that come down from the roof and the seat belt issue.. I have never heard of anyone adding them in a D2, but when I upgrade, I am going for the 7 seater. I have it now, and when we are all riding downtown for a night out, we fill it up to the jump seats. Even made a 5 hour ride to Dallas for OU/UT with people in the jump seats. They didn't mind the ride, and gas split 7 ways makes the 18MPG's tolerable....

Old 01-20-2008, 04:14 PM
Mudding

More trouble than it's worth it sounds like.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Camel Trophy

yeah, I was kinda trying to say that without actually saying it. After you get everything ready to bolt in, you still have to buy the seats. Might be better off just selling yours and getting a 7 seater.... Then again, if you added my labor into what I have put in my truck, I would have to sell it for $7K to break even, even thoguh I only have about $4K in the truck total.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling

FWIW, the seats themselves are outrageous, I don't remember the exact $$ but I think it was in the over 1K range. If you're determined it can be done, I think I've seen something about it out there. A salvage yard may be a good way to go for the seats and headrests, I think a new trim piece goes above the rear door and the rests just bolt on. Nothing concrete, just vague recollections of things I have read. I was considering it but quit researching when I realized it totally was not worth the $$ for the few times I'd need 7 seats.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Three Wheeling

I was contemplating this conversion on my 03 Disco SE. I was planning on getting the floor brackets, the seats, seatbelts, trim pieces. After speaking to LR dealership, a local body shop,(as well as speaking to Mike) I decided not to go through with it.

1) No body shop or LR dealer wants to take on the liability for installing the floor brackets (cutting and welding).

2) The resale of your "converted" SE7 won't be a benefit but more of a NEGATIVE as it's not factory done.

Those two factors convinced me that it's DEFINITILY NOT worth the conversion. I personally just wanted to add one jump seat, but I'll live w/the SE.

When I was looking at purchasing a SE7, I was totally against the fact that it took up all the back cargo space. Thus, I went w/the SE model. Now, I was thinking about adding just one seat, but with the liability and resale factors, I decided it isn't a good idea.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Mudding

You just gotta ask yourself, are you really concerned about the (horrible) resale value of your Discovery? I mean, c'mon. You really gonna sell it?

Welding isn't an issue at my camp only because I have a sawzall and a couple of brothers-in-law who own tig/mig welders and are quite handy with them.

I bet that if one came up on some rear jumpseat equipment for cheap, had access to a sawzall and a welder, and did not care about the resale value of their Disco... I'd say it'd be a cool project. Even more cool, adding only one!

Quick Reply: Adding 3rd Row Seats?