Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding 3rd Row Seats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008 | 04:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Adding 3rd Row Seats?

I think adding that one extra seat would be of benefit. ...but to what extent?

If mine came stock...and yours has been "rigged up"...mine would sell faster than yours. I'm not talking about performance mods like RTE springs, OME shocks, etc.

Installing jump seat(s) won't look factory.

It's a no brainer not to modify for resellable sake....unless you already have a old Disco w/tons of miles ...then why not? (no warranty...no worries)

Old 01-21-2008 | 04:26 PM
|
Mudding

Yep, no warranty, no worries. I don't know too many people that would modify a vehicle that is still under warranty anyway. That'd give the dealer all sorts of avenues of departure when it comes to getting warranty work done.

I guess it all depends on who owns the Disco. Some owners might not be thinking about selling their toy at all, while others like to keep the door open at all times. Adding 3rd row seats is definately a major project and if one is to consider selling their toy, they'd be best off not touching anything.

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:40 PM
Mudding

I am seriously contemplating doing this to my 2000 Disco. Can someone tell me explain this a bit further. I would need to cut out the brackets from another disco, but do i need to do any cutting from my Disco? Or just weld on top? Why wouldn't a shop being willing to do this?

Old 10-09-2008 | 08:50 PM
Team Owner

A shop would be willing to do it but they are going to charge you out the ying yang.
As for the parts you need, contact www.roverlandparts.com, www.roversnorth.comor http://eastcoastrover.com/.
I dont know the true cost of doing this but have been told it isaround $2,000 for new parts.

Old 10-09-2008 | 09:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I dont know about over here where you guys are, but in the UK this comes up quite a bit, and there are several things that have to be considered......

1: The Discovery 2 was only type approved for 7 seats with rear AIR suspension. so fitting the 2 extra seats invalidates this type approval if you have rear coils and in the UK this would also make your insurance null and void. Other countries were allowed coils or air, so you would need to check it out. For disco 1's they never had air so it dont matter.

2: over in the UK the vehicle would also require re-registration as it has had the number of seats changed, and would require a vehicle approved inspection after the modification.

3: most insurance companies over here would also run a mile if this mod was done but not by the factory.

Just a few notes that "may" or "may not" affect you guys

Old 10-09-2008 | 09:57 PM
Team Owner

UrbanPanzer, arent you supposed to be working?

Old 10-10-2008 | 01:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: Spike555

UrbanPanzer, arent you supposed to be working?
yes!! , but hey we all need a break

Old 10-10-2008 | 01:11 PM
Drifting

i'm going to move my 2nd row seats to the back door by doing this:

1. pull out the cargo containers next to the wheel wells

2. mount a flat iron or steel across the split bench bottom to reinforce it. effectively making it a solid bench seat.

3. Bolting mounts into the edges of the floor, reinforcing with steel plates, above and below, if needed.

4. getting seat belt kits from littlepassengerseats.com to tie into the seat mountings

5. replace my captain seats and 2nd row seats with '03 or '04 OEM seats light tan (more attractive than the dark tan from '00 & '01)

If I get crazy I'll make some latch for easy 3rd row removal.

Also, replacing shocks & springs to OME HD to accomodate the weight, upgrading to 19" HSE stock rims. So I'll have 8 seats. It's gonna be custom and far better than any SE7 jump seat set up.

I'm still looking for a better disc brake system to put on. I think I need more stopping power with my plans. a Mercedes braking system on a rover would be choice. Can it be done?

Old 10-10-2008 | 01:27 PM
Rock Crawling

How about bolting in a rear Jeep seat. My dad has a cj-7 and the rear seat is easily removed with 4 bolts.

Willie

Old 11-24-2009 | 09:15 AM
4wd Low

Easy conversion...if you have a donor vehicle. I converted my '00 Disco II by adding jump seats from a donor '00 SE7. No drilling...No welding...Very important to take all of the parts (brackets, etc.). I salvaged both plastic moulding panels (upper and lower) from the donor. Not difficult, but you will need some help setting the jump seats in (springs). Be careful not to engage the seatbelts. If that happens...bolt the belt in (don't try to 'take it apart'...hard lesson). Ask me anything about it. I do think it would be a much more difficult task if ordering/assembling parts from any source other than a donor vehicle.

Quick Reply: Adding 3rd Row Seats?