Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Power Folding mirror option to my D2

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Adding Power Folding mirror option to my D2

I'm leaving this forum and have deleted all my work in this thread.

Last edited by Jared9220; 03-12-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

the headlight adjust probably never came to the US due to some old law- read an article where we dont get the cool Audi and Benz lights because of it.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

btw isnt that plug for heated mirrors? i want to say my last rover had front and rear heated windows and mirrors as well

Old 07-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jared9220
About that light switch.
Attachment 21863
I was thinking that maybe non NAS models just had the headlight switch mounted on the dash instead of the steering column.

I was thinking
0= lights off
1= running lights
2= low beams
3= high beams
I don't have anything to support this, but the annotation on the switch looks like it's referring to angle(not power states).

Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of a cool option for narrow trails. I notice these are UK mirrors so are the driver and passenger side mirrors angled different, similar to the headlamps?
I had a 240sx that I installed folding mirrors and I had to swap the Japan bases with the factory bases to make the mirrors angle correctly.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

About that light switch.
Attachment 21863
I was thinking that maybe non NAS models just had the headlight switch mounted on the dash instead of the steering column.

I was thinking
0= lights off
1= running lights
2= low beams
3= high beams
The numbers refer to dip beam levels only. Can't remember which way round though on mine - I rarely change them only when towing heavy loads.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The power fold and heated mirror is an option on some models. The ES has power fold and heated glass standard. There is a characteristic endemic problem like all things with LR's, the software was never sorted out properly and if you press to fold the mirror folds it then opens out again on it's own and vice versa. It works sometimes (rarely) and not others. LR main dealerships never did sort mine out nor did LR manufacturing ever upgrade the software to work correctly. They had 3 goes at getting mine right when new and failed miserably as usual.

My advice would be 'don't waste your time and money' it's as useful as a 'chocolate teapot' and I never close/fold the mirrors anyways as they save some prat putting a 'ding' in my door when opening their door. Common occurence in France as many are just careless, very old or far too fat.

(can I borrow a tin hat please.............. incoming )

Old 07-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Powerfold Mirrors & Headlamp Levelling

So today it was brought to my attention from another members thread (https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...at-plug-68043/)that there is a Power Folding Mirror option for the D2. Now that I know this I am going to attempt to add this option on to my Truck.

So far I have found the folding mirrors, ECU, and switch on Ebay. Any input on this upgrade would be appreciated before I start buy parts.
1999 2004 Discovery 2 LH Mirror with Power Fold New PT CRB501370PMA | eBay

Land Rover Discovery 2 New Power Fold Wing Mirror Adjustment Switch YUH100260PMA | eBay

Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 V8 Power Fold Electric Mirror Control ECU YWC 105260 | eBay

Powerfold mirrors were part of the specification on top-spec UK and European D2's.

On UK/European vehicles, the wiring for them is part of the main wiring harness on vehicles fitted with the Harman Kardon entertainment system, even if the vehicle doesn't have powerfold mirrors fitted.

There are also 'powerfold' door harnesses, which may or may not be fitted to vehicles without powerfold mirrors.

As you've all spotted, the powerfold mirrors have an additional 2-way connector - this is for the powerfold function.

All vehicles have the 6-way connector, which carries the wiring for the powered adjustment and glass heater.

If you find that your main wiring harness, and/or your front door harnesses don't already have the wiring for powerfold - it is easily added.

I have all the connectors required, and have made 'overlay harnesses' for this previously.

You need -

The 12-way ECU connector C0907

The door mirror 2-way connectors (x2) C0998

The terminal for cavity 8 on the powerfold mirror switch C0066

2 x Male and 2 x female terminals for the main harness/door harness interface connectors -

RH C0460/C0733

LH C0464/C0733

The powerfold ECU requires a permanent live and an ignition-switched live, as well as an earth connection.

In the factory wiring the lives come from headers that are buried in the main harness behind the facia, and the earth goes to one of the footwell earth headers.

On my overlay harnesses, I've taken both the permanent and ignition-switched lives, as well as the earth, from the S12 socket on the under-facia fuse box -

Name:  DSC02697R-S12.jpg
Views: 6345
Size:  859.6 KB

The 090 (2.3mm) terminals in S12 are numbered from the bottom upwards -

Viewed looking at the S12 socket, or from the rear (cable entry side) of the connector

The circuits are as follows (on UK/European vehicles) -

Terminal-5 - Live - ignition switched (position 1 on ignition switch), via F27 (10 Amps) *

Terminal-4 - Live - permanent, via F20 (15 Amps)

Terminal-3 - Live - switched, from auxiliary circuits relay, via F15 (20 Amps)

Terminal-2 - Live - from main lighting switch (sidelights position), via F33 (10 Amps)

Terminal-1 - Earth - via C0583 to C0017-1 (Earth Header) on 3.0mm² cable

* Some owners of UK Facelift vehicles, have reported that Terminal-5 is only live at position 2 of the ignition switch.

I have the proper connectors to fit into this socket -

I also have the proper connectors to fit the ¼" (6.3mm) terminal in the S13 socket (above the S12 socket) -

Name:  DSC02697R-S13.jpg
Views: 3750
Size:  859.8 KB

Socket S13 is fed from the Ignition Switch on a 3.0mm² cable, through C0028-4, via F30 (20Amp)

Connector -

I also noticed that this particular switch has another option I am not aware of "headlight Adjust". Does anyone know anything about that?
Land Rover Discovery 2 Electric Mirror Power Folding Switch Headlamp Adjust LM | eBay

This control is for headlamp levelling, which is fitted to UK/European vehicles.

The headlamps (pre-facelift) have a motor in place of the lower fixing point -

This motor can adjust the focus of the headlamp 'down' to compensate for a heavy load, or a full complement of passengers.

From the UK Owner's Handbook -

On facelift vehicles, a different headlamp unit, with an integral levelling motor, is fitted.

The following 2 users liked this post by PaulMc:
boston4 (05-12-2020), JUKE179r (07-26-2019)
Old 07-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
...and I never close/fold the mirrors anyways as they save some prat putting a 'ding' in my door when opening their door. Common occurence in France as many are just careless, very old or far too fat.

(can I borrow a tin hat please.............. incoming )

A much better device for preventing careless ****** from 'dinging' your D2, is to fit tree sliders -

Puts a nice crease in the edge of their door

The following users liked this post:
SadaJones (08-15-2021)
Old 07-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Three Wheeling

Very nice truck. I need to get some rock sliders ASAP. Are those fender vents functional? They look great on there and if the are functional I bet they really help cut down on the under the hood temps. Are they off an LR3? If you happen to have pictures of the install it would make a great Thread.

Not mine, they're from the manufacturer of those tree sliders - Discovery Heavy Duty RSB Rock Tree Sliders Buy Direct From the Manufacturer

Fitting Discovery 3 / LR3 side vents is a popular modification -

SIMMONITES DISCOVERY SPORT

They're just for show, they don't perform any useful function.

Quick Reply: Adding Power Folding mirror option to my D2