Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery II (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/)
-   -   Advice - intake and heads or..... (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/advice-intake-heads-37052/)

aschilp 01-05-2011 12:09 AM

Advice - intake and heads or.....

I had my disco in the shop today and I was told I need to have the intake manifold gasket replaced. Any thoughts on having the mechanic take the next step and replace the head gaskets too?

I was told about $1300 for intake and $3000 for going all the way ;)

2004 Discovery II
71K Miles

kcabpilot 01-05-2011 03:37 AM

I'm in the process of doing mine right now. It seems to me that it would be a false economy to pull the heads off and not do the valves, at least in my case where I have 100k miles. I can see that the valve and seat faces are showing some pitting and it's time for them to be refaced. Also, when into it this far do you want to put it all back together with the original water pump, thermostat, old coolant hoses and serpentine belt?

I'm even thinking new coil packs and ignition leads since they are so hard to get too.

My point is, that as you get deeper into it there's a level that you need to commit to. In your case, if the head gaskets aren't leaking you're probably best to leave well enough alone unless you want to go all the way.

Disco Mike 01-05-2011 09:06 AM

First, your mechanic is charging you double the price for either service. Labor on the intake is only around 4.5 hours, 11 for head gaskets, he is a thief.
As for your question, at your mileage I would do both and pay only $1500 to $1600 for the complete job plus new 8 mm plug wires.

FightOnUSC79 01-05-2011 09:50 PM

What mike said: I had the works done for 1590.00 I'll get the receipt and post the entire service that was completed if you'd like. Also, they washed the truck and put my preset stations back :)

Edit: Also included was a 1000 mile check up to make sure everything was tight and running properly

aschilp 01-28-2011 03:10 PM

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I called around and found the cost comprable to what I was quoted. One was $300 cheaper for the intake manifold gasket, so took it there for a 2nd opinion. I trust them more and they ended up telling me I didn't have a leak in the first place! They repaired something else that I know needed fixed........

bosshogt 01-28-2011 03:52 PM

We are all curious. What did your 2nd more trusted shop repair?

coors 01-28-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by aschilp (Post 222850)
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I called around and found the cost comprable to what I was quoted. One was $300 cheaper for the intake manifold gasket, so took it there for a 2nd opinion. I trust them more and they ended up telling me I didn't have a leak in the first place! They repaired something else that I know needed fixed........

Originally Posted by bosshogt (Post 222854)
We are all curious. What did your 2nd more trusted shop repair?

Yeah! You can't give a build up like this and not deliver. that's wrong. What did you "think" was wrong in the first place? :confused: