Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for a new Disco owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 05:09 PM
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question Advice for a new Disco owner

The following 4 users liked this post by Sofia Berinstein:
Jankot (12-31-2020), Richard Gallant (12-31-2020), The Deputy (12-31-2020), whowa004 (12-31-2020)
Old 12-30-2020, 11:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Welcome to the forum Sofia.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Welcome, get the basics done :

Transfer Case and Differential oil changed
Front and rear drive shafts check and lubricated
Get a cheap blue tooth ELM 327 ODB adaptor and Torque for your cell phone and monitor your engine temps - This is critical as the dash gauge is just an idiot light and you need to know your cooling system is working correctly, ignore if you have a diesel engine. The V8 is a sleeved aluminum engine significant engine overheats can lead to failed head gaskets or worst case engines.

The following 4 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
ivegotmoxie (12-31-2020), Jankot (12-31-2020), Sofia Berinstein (01-01-2021), The Deputy (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 03:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,276 Likes on 897 Posts

What Richard said.

Each of the four Dll's we've owned were either empty or extremely low on transfer case fluid. For some reason...it gets overlooked during services/oil changes.

Congrats, on the new purchase. Nice looking rover. One thing about the Dll, it's a vehicle that needs its hood opened once in a while, weekly preferably. Just pop the hood, check fluids and look for anything unusual. Listening is helpful too...strange noises need to be addressed. Maintenance of the front driveshaft is important also, make sure it is lubracated (if greaseable style...which l would purchase if it doesn't have one) and in good working order.

Good luck with your new ride.

The following users liked this post:
Sofia Berinstein (01-01-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 10:23 AM
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
Welcome to the forum Sofia.
Thank you!

Old 12-31-2020, 01:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@Sofia Berinstein And we all forgot one thing whether you drive off road or not once a month:
  1. Put the transfer case in Low drive a 100 meters
  2. If you have no CDL then Back to high and drive 100 meters
  3. If you have CDL push the lever over to the left drive 100 meters
  4. Push down drive 100 meters
  5. Then back to the right Drive 100 meters
  6. Do this pattern 2 or 3 times a parking lot is fine and you do not need any speed.
The purpose it to make sure everything keeps moving the cables can seize up if left unused for long periods.

The process to get that lever to move is easy:
  • Stop put your Disco in Neutral
  • Push the Hi/Low lever firmly in the direction you want to go
If it does not want to move, Foot on the brake put the Disco in reverse for a few seconds back to neutral it should move easily now.
The object of the above step is to unload the gears and drivetrain - you can feel it but I can not really describe it but it generally works

The 1st few times you do this things may be stiff that is expected if the transfer case has not been out of high range in a long time

Old 12-31-2020, 02:15 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Sofia, I've also got a new to me white disco. Welcome!

I'm also trying to get my car caught up on maintenance. I've found Atlantic British's Maintenance schedule very helpful- just make an account on their site. I've printed it out and am checking it against service records provided and on mycarfax.com (free).

Which service items would one recommend, if for example, a car has basically sat for 2-3 years only putting on 10k miles in that time?
transfer case maintenance 3 years ago (not sure if differential is done at that time also). oil 3 years ago. brake fluids done 2 years ago. transmission serviced 12k miles ago. So all under recommended milage- but some time has passed.

Originally Posted by The Deputy
What Richard said.

Each of the four Dll's we've owned were either empty or extremely low on transfer case fluid. For some reason...it gets overlooked during services/oil changes.

Congrats, on the new purchase. Nice looking rover. One thing about the Dll, it's a vehicle that needs its hood opened once in a while, weekly preferably. Just pop the hood, check fluids and look for anything unusual. Listening is helpful too...strange noises need to be addressed. Maintenance of the front driveshaft is important also, make sure it is lubracated (if greaseable style...which l would purchase if it doesn't have one) and in good working order.

Good luck with your new ride.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:15 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Welcome. If you are not mechanically inclined take the info on this board and tell your mechanic exactly what you want done
most mechanics don’t know these trucks and the common issues with them
if you tell them exactly what you want done it’s better

Old 12-31-2020, 04:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Welcome. Do the PCV mod to stop the oil leaks and the Inline thermostat mod to prevent overheating. Replace anything in the cooling system older than 10 years old. Good Luck!

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (12-31-2020)
Old 12-31-2020, 05:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,276 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by AdriBushBaby
Hi Sofia, I've also got a new to me white disco. Welcome!

I'm also trying to get my car caught up on maintenance. I've found Atlantic British's Maintenance schedule very helpful- just make an account on their site. I've printed it out and am checking it against service records provided and on mycarfax.com (free).

Which service items would one recommend, if for example, a car has basically sat for 2-3 years only putting on 10k miles in that time?
transfer case maintenance 3 years ago (not sure if differential is done at that time also). oil 3 years ago. brake fluids done 2 years ago. transmission serviced 12k miles ago. So all under recommended milage- but some time has passed.
l'd still check all fluid levels. If it has even the smallest leak, it could possibly become empty. The vehicle has to be running, parking brake applied and on a level surface to check trans fluid...do not remove fill plug while engine is off/not running...you will lose three or four quarts of fluid. All of the other fluids, transfer case/axle diffs, will be checked normally, just removing fill plug and looking/feeling for fluid. Fill until fluid runs out of fill hole.