Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on rebuilding front drive-shaft with greaseable u-joints

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on rebuilding front drive-shaft with greaseable u-joints

Saving up money to rebuild the front drive-shaft with greaseable u-joints as soon as possible. Just some advice for when I got to my mechanic on what to tell him, price, and anything else I should do. This will be the first work done on the truck, and want to do the most important things first. Thanks for the help.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Call a driveline shop and tell them what you need to have done, couple hundred maybe a little less.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are fairly mechanical, I have a PDF that can go step by step thru this, including replacing the center ball also.
What year is your truck and how many miles on it?
Send me your e-mail address for the PDF.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you are fairly mechanical, I have a PDF that can go step by step thru this, including replacing the center ball also.
What year is your truck and how many miles on it?
Send me your e-mail address for the PDF.

I'm not very mechanical besides for the changing the oil and making sure the truck is clean. The truck is a 2004 DII SE with almost 44k, completely stock. My email address is bangkuai@andrews.edu.

Last edited by bangkuaidiscovery04; 04-20-2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Forgot email address
Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Mudding

Thanks Mike for the PDF. Just uploaded it and will show my mechanic to see if he is able to perform the procedure. I will be there helping to also learn how to do it. Appreciate the help.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bangkuaidiscovery04
Thanks Mike for the PDF. Just uploaded it and will show my mechanic to see if he is able to perform the procedure. I will be there helping to also learn how to do it. Appreciate the help.
There is nothing unusual about DII propshafts. Anyone who's done one from a Ford, Dodge, whatever, can do a DII. Before you hand him the instructions, you might ask if he's ever done DC propshafts. He might be well versed in them and be insulted by you giving him instructions. Like handing him instructions on doing an oil change.
That said, most shops don't do it themselves anyway, and just send them to a driveline shop, who won't need the instructions.
I haven't seen any complete instructions on the internet anywhere, they've all had omissions or some incorrect information.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Administrator

That PDF is to help you, not educate your mechanic. If you can't call him and just ask, without giving directions, he shouldn't be doing it.
The average in house rebuild is around 1.0 flat rate hour or $100, plus the R&R of the drive shaft if you don't carry it in.
Remember have the centering ball replaced also.
Price from a shop, parts and labor should not be much over $200 or they are over charging you.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would suggest finding a driveline shop to do your shaft. Your mechanic is going to pull it and send it out. It is really easy to mark each end, pull the front shaft, lock your t-case, drive it there, have it re-built, and put it back in that afternoon. If you can change your oil, you can remove the 8 bolts holding the shaft in. You can still drive your truck lightly to drop off your shaft. They will re-build it and balance it. I think the balance is important because they are adding zerks to the shaft. This will throw it off.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey Guys,
New to the Land o Disco, Loving it so far! But reading about the drive shaft is worrisome. Is there a way to check and see if it has been done? What is the failure rate? What exactly should i be asking for as far as the service is concerned? Would rebuilding front drive-shaft with greaseable u-joints, replacing the centering ball and balancing cover it? Could you guys send me a copy of that pdf (ryanbuhk@gmail.com)? Thanks for all the great reading material Oh yeah Lindy is 2000 DII with 111K.

Cheers

Last edited by RjBu; 04-21-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Sure, just verify that all 3 front u-joints have grease fitting and gerase them once or twice a year based on your mileage.

Quick Reply: Advice on rebuilding front drive-shaft with greaseable u-joints