Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on rebuilding front drive-shaft with greaseable u-joints

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks!!
Stupid question i guess? Three U joints? Thought there was only 2?

Old 04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

3 one in the front and 2 at the back of the shaft. The rear one is a double cardan joint which consists of 2 u-joints and a centering ball.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

D1 has two u-joints, DII has 3. They should be lubed every oil change, min every 5,000 miles. You should see new grease come out from around all 4 seals on each u-joint.
Too check your propshaft you should crawl underneath and make sure there is no looseness in the u-joints. Then disconnect one end and make sure all 3 u-joints have smooth movement in all directions with no evidence of binding. Make sure the slip joint slides easily, and make sure there's no play in it either.
If you have 50-60k or more on your truck and the front propshaft has never been replaced/rebuilt, do one or the other.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Mudding

Thanks guys for all the advice. No idea the DII had 3 u-joints and not 2. Will update when the job is done.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by antichrist
D1 has two u-joints, DII has 3. They should be lubed every oil change, min every 5,000 miles. You should see new grease come out from around all 4 seals on each u-joint.
When I lubed my drive shafts the other day, I only had grease coming out of one seal (next to the grease fitting). What can / should you do to make sure it gets to all 4 seals? It looks like if I kept pumping grease, it would just continue following the path of least resistance.

Old 05-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you are fairly mechanical, I have a PDF that can go step by step thru this, including replacing the center ball also.
What year is your truck and how many miles on it?
Send me your e-mail address for the PDF.
mike,
i have a 03 discovery with 64000 miles, can you please send me the pdf instructions for this drive shaft modification. my email is kuljerm@msn.com
thanks

Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by Wolkesan
When I lubed my drive shafts the other day, I only had grease coming out of one seal (next to the grease fitting). What can / should you do to make sure it gets to all 4 seals? It looks like if I kept pumping grease, it would just continue following the path of least resistance.
Sometimes using a hammer to tap the yoke on the side were the grease is coming out will shift the u-joint in the cups enough to allow it grease to get down the other channels. But if doing that doesn't work, remove the drive shaft and try it on the bench. If that doesn't work, replace the u-joint. You must get new grease coming from around all 4 seals. It's the only way to get fresh grease in to the needle bearings in the cups and also flush out any impurities.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:23 PM
5th Gear
Default Pdf

Disco Mike, I have the service manual on CD, is this the same document that you provide for instructions on how ti rebuild the front drive shaft?

Scott

Scottw@mcmikle.com

Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had mine done at Driveline Services in Portland, OR. http://www.driveshafts.com

Total was more than expected -- they quoted me based on a regular shaft, not a double cardan. To do the "clean, straighten, paint, rebuild, and balance" service including parts was $224.

They told me that I was pretty close to failure on one of the top u-joints, which was what I expected since I was hearing the tell-tale "tick-tick-tick" sound at low speeds. Very glad to have that done.

I never would have known that this was an issue had it not been for this board. Thanks so much, guys!

Stan

Old 05-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by lxrules
Disco Mike, I have the service manual on CD, is this the same document that you provide for instructions on how ti rebuild the front drive shaft?
The Land Rover shop manual, what's on RAVE, doesn't cover rebuilding the propshaft in any detail.
Google 'rebuilding double cardan propshaft' or ''rebuilding double cardan driveshaft"
There are directions all over the net and there's nothing different about a Land Rover one.
In fact, the Land Rover "specific" ones I've see being passed around has some significant omissions.

When you find one, give me the link and I'll let you know if it's any good.

Quick Reply: Advice on rebuilding front drive-shaft with greaseable u-joints