Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on frame replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Advise on frame replacement

Ok it’s a 2001 se7 189k on milage, head gaskets been done etc. Frame is rough real rough it can be patched for inspection this time but not next time I feel.
So the wife and daughter don’t want it to go away we all love it and don’t blame them.
so then the decision is it worth the time to replace the frame myself or pay someplace to do it?
i don’t have access to a lift to lift the body off so can it be done other ways?

my idea would be to get the frame and another 2001 and build up the frame to a rolling chassis as I go ?
redoing suspension bushing add a lift kit to it.
Then pull the body of the one we love and the motor trans transfer case and do the swap then.

if motor and gear better on donor I go with that.
and if I had to pay for the body swap it should be cheaper on labor I would figure.
but this way I can redo everything underneath and make it look good and last longer.

thoughts opinions and input from those who have done this.

thanks
keith

Old 11-18-2019, 07:21 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Is it worth the time and money it would cost you? That’s the question. Pics of the frame in question?

Old 11-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Old 11-18-2019, 08:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

If you swap the frame from another truck, how long before it also rust up in your neck of the woods?

Old 11-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Longer than this one lol as it will be treated and sealed before assembling and be regular serviced

Old 11-18-2019, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

It’d be more economical to get a new lower mileage example... I’m in a similar boat with my 01 SE7. I’m considering just having it patched until the truck finally dies and then buying something that’s in better shape overall.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

I have a similarly-rusted truck and went down to a car restoration shop here in Monterey. They work on LRs, Porsche, Ferrari's, Astons, exotics... tons of insane cars. This area is a car area. The concourse is here at Pebble Beach. Anyway, he quoted me about $8-10K for them to do a full frame replacement. I'm thinking about doing it in the next couple of years. I've heard the arguments about buying a D2 without frame rust, but at the end of the day, I think it's circumstantial. For example, mine has 79,000 miles, the body is in perfect shape, same with the interior, and same with the drivetrain. For $10K I could have a truck that might prevent me from ever spending money on another truck again. Can you? If you invest the money in getting yourself a rust-free truck, could that potentially eliminate the possibility of you having to spend $20-30K on a replacement car? Or, even if you spent $10K on another Disco that's in great shape, why not just have YOUR disco for the same price?

Old 11-19-2019, 06:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Honestly what I need to know what is involved and can this be done with out a lift with a way to substitute that?

My idea is to get a frame and then build that up as far as I can before the swap over. This way I can take my time and do bushings suspension parts even do all the ball joints etc then do the swap.
This way I have nice chassis to swap on too, and if I have to then hire a place to move body, engine i can save some cash on that part but at least I know I have a strong undercarriage.

Old 11-19-2019, 06:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Might as well buy a whole new chassis.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:20 AM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by merebel
Honestly what I need to know what is involved and can this be done with out a lift with a way to substitute that?

My idea is to get a frame and then build that up as far as I can before the swap over. This way I can take my time and do bushings suspension parts even do all the ball joints etc then do the swap.
This way I have nice chassis to swap on too, and if I have to then hire a place to move body, engine i can save some cash on that part but at least I know I have a strong undercarriage.
The only way without a lift is if you have 4 to 6 hulk size friends to lift the body off and on.
You'de need jack stands and blocks to set the body on too.
It's not a hard job either(everything D2 is easy), just time consuming and fighting rusted fasteners.
I considered it too, over one ugly spot near the vin# on my frame, but the rest is good.
A galvanized frame is $5k, and it'll be a few more years to get your $ back out of a D2 with one.
But, if you want to keep if forever, it's up to the individual what it's worth.

Last edited by Sixpack577; 11-20-2019 at 11:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Advise on frame replacement