Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advise on frame replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 08:19 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

You could do just the rear section.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

I feel for your situation. I have had my beloved Disco since 2008 and I’m at a crossroads as to what to do with it. This past summer I had her frame patched up but was considering hiring someone to swap out the chassis, prior to finding a welder who would tackle the patch job. She has a few issues and I’m attached to her. I do know that there is no way that I could tackle a frame swap by myself as I just don’t have the mechanical skills, the equipment, the space, or herculean power.

If you can stay atop mechanical issues and know that you’ll be driving it for a long time to come, I’d invest the time and $$ into getting her frame done right (galvanized chassis), whether you do it yourself or hire someone else to do it. There are a lot of DII naysayers out there but also an equal amount who love them all the same. I vote for the fix.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
I feel for your situation. I have had my beloved Disco since 2008 and I’m at a crossroads as to what to do with it. This past summer I had her frame patched up but was considering hiring someone to swap out the chassis, prior to finding a welder who would tackle the patch job. She has a few issues and I’m attached to her. I do know that there is no way that I could tackle a frame swap by myself as I just don’t have the mechanical skills, the equipment, the space, or herculean power.

If you can stay atop mechanical issues and know that you’ll be driving it for a long time to come, I’d invest the time and $$ into getting her frame done right (galvanized chassis), whether you do it yourself or hire someone else to do it. There are a lot of DII naysayers out there but also an equal amount who love them all the same. I vote for the fix.
I agree we love out baby and she runs and ride great just have the normal stuff and yeah the place to do it and how is always the issue.
i can do pretty much everything if I had the place and the idea on how to lift it safely. And the route I want to go would keep her running for years I would hope.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:01 PM
TReK
Received 483 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by merebel
I agree we love out baby and she runs and ride great just have the normal stuff and yeah the place to do it and how is always the issue.
i can do pretty much everything if I had the place and the idea on how to lift it safely. And the route I want to go would keep her running for years I would hope.
How about a donor truck with a good frame and decent body?
They are out there, and cheap. Gut what you won't use, coat the frame, and build one from the 2 of them.
You can rent an engine crane to get the engine out, or buy one at Harbor Freight for a couple hundred bucks.
If you're driveway is gravel, Tractor Supply has 1"x4'x6' heavy rubber mats.
I have one in front of the concrete coming out of my garage, and use it for just that purpose.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts
Old 11-19-2019, 01:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by boston4

I would consider it but mine stops about midway from the rear doors
so this could be an option
https://www.roversnorth.com/parts/pl...y_ii_1999_2004
but 58" is cutting it close

Old 11-19-2019, 01:29 PM
Rock Crawling

Out of curiosity have you/anyone gotten a quote for having someone cut out the rot and weld in patches? I know this doesn't have the longevity of some other fixes, but the service history of my truck is ... questionable at best.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling

Out of curiosity have you/anyone gotten a quote for having someone cut out the rot and weld in patches? I know this doesn't have the longevity of some other fixes, but the service history of my truck is ... questionable at best.
it can be patched but I want longevity like you said

Old 11-19-2019, 01:38 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, I just didn't know the cost delta between swapping a frame and patching. If anyone has had this priced out, I'd love to know more.

For your situation, I think the swap, particularly without a lift, would be one of the most difficult projects to tackle yourself. It might also be costly to source a donor truck, since most of those with desirable frames would be in drier, warmer parts of the country, so you might need to ship. I have a weird habit of peeking under the rear bumper of Disco 2s that I see, and it's a very widespread problem in the Northeast.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a weird habit of peeking under the rear bumper of Disco 2s that I see, and it's a very widespread problem in the Northeast.
lol... I do this too. I'm sure it looks pretty funny to the innocent bystander!

Quick Reply: Advise on frame replacement