Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aftermarket radio installation help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default aftermarket radio installation help

so i have the wiring kit to install a new cd player in the rover and i got it to come on and everything but i got no sound... i dont understand how the speakers are supposed to be connected to the wiring kit... i have four speakers positive leads and only one negative speaker lead... i know that the speakers work through some common ground type setup but i dont know how to hook it up... i tried connecting all the radio speaker negative leads to the one negative lead on the kit and nothing happened... then i tried hookin them all up to the radio kit ground.... i just need to know how to get my speakers to make sound now... its frustrating...

Old 12-20-2008, 05:20 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: aftermarket radio installation help

I just did an aftermarket deck in my 97. I use a PAC-OEM2 adapter to convert the speaker outputs from the deck to inputs for the factory amp and it works perfectly. I got all my gear from Crutchfield and the install was easy. If you choose not to use the adapter I believe the only way to do the install is to run new wires from the speaker outputs of the deck directly to the speakers and eliminate the factory amps.

Wiring the speakers is your basic positive to positive and negative to negative on the input to the adapter. The output positive speaker lead go to the speaker positives on the wiring adapter that plugs in to the vehicle harness while all for negatives go to the single ground. I did run into a problem with the ground wire on the wiring adapter being in the wrong pin location so I used a jewelers screwdriver to release the pin and move it so it lined up with the ground on the factory harness.

I really don't know for certain what it is the PAC-OEM2 adapter does but it was recommended by Crutchfield, I bought it and the system works great. The adapter has wiring diagrams and instructions for a number of different setups so just use the instructions for adding an aftermarket deck to a factory amp.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

yeah i got the wiring kit from crutchfield in hand... i hooked up all the wires like the instructions said and the deck comes on and everything but i get no sound... i tried changing the pin that was in the wrong spot and everything... but still nothing... i was just checking to see if i was missing something... so what you are saying is each positive wire goes to its respective wire on the harness and then all four negative speaker wires from the head unit go to the single negative on the adapter right?

Old 12-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure you don't have a mute button pressed on the new deck?

Old 12-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

ORIGINAL: LambChop

Sure you don't have a mute button pressed on the new deck?
i dont think i do but i wouldnt doubt it....

Old 12-20-2008, 08:32 PM
TReK

so what you are saying is each positive wire goes to its respective wire on the harness and then all four negative speaker wires from the head unit go to the single negative on the adapter right?
Yes, all 4 negatives from the deck speaker outputs go to the one negative wire on the wiring adapter. The two plugs you use are the pink and the gray, the tan plug is unused. I think that the tan plug wouldn't even fit into either plug of the wiring adapter. The pink plug is the one with your speaker wires in it if I recall correctly while the gray is the power and everything else. When I got my equipment from crutchfield I actually called their tech support to find out which plugs to use, how they are supposed to be hooked up and how to hook up the antenna.

I am going to do a little research and see if I can find out how to wire it without the PAC-OEM2 converter that I used and will let you know what I found.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:36 PM
TReK

Installation Details for your 1997 Discovery
ยป Because of the way your vehicle is wired at the factory, we recommend that you purchase a connection adapter to eliminate the need for extensive rewiring when you install your new stereo.
PAC OEM-2 $29.99
ยป An installation kit is not required to install your new receiver.
This came from Crutchfield's website and is referring to the adapter I used. Without it wires will have to be run directly to the speakers.

Old 12-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

thanks AK i guess i will have to order one of those up because i have tried everything and i still cant get sound... the good thing about using the kit instead of just cutting the factory wires is that i just plugged my factory radio back in until i get the other parts i need... in other vehicles i had i used to just cut and splice... but after the first time i used a wiring kit i will never go back to hacking up wiring...

Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 PM
TReK

Been there and done that myself. I started wiring stereos in vehicles back in high school and I still pride myself on making up better wiring harnesses than the so-called professional installers. The PAC OEM-2 box makes for a lot a wires behind the dash so I found it necessary to completely remove the center section of the dash to make everything fit. I tucked the adapter box up under the shelf type thing the stereo sits on and used a couple zip ties to hold it there so I didn't have to fight it too while putting everything back together. Do yourself a favor and get rid of all the extra wires on the adapter. Just cut off all but the speaker wires and then tape up the ends so nothing shorts out. There are a bunch of unnecessary wires that take up a lot of room behind the dash. Of course if you think you might decide to move it to another vehicle in the future then leave the extra wires and just deal with them. Whichever way you go tape up the ends, including the RCA plugs, so nothing shorts out.

Once you get everything wired up properly the system sounds awesome for using factory amps and speakers. I was amazed how much more volume I get over the stock deck. What kind of deck did you decide on?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

its a old "dual" head unit i had layin around... i just wanted an in dash cd player instead of having to deal with the changer mounted under the passenger seat... its a pretty slick head unit though...

Quick Reply: aftermarket radio installation help