Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Replacement Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Replacement Parts

I'm about to replace the radiator for the second time and do the second head gasket job on my 2001 DII @ 140k miles. As a rule, I always use replacement parts from the manufacturer. Given how lousy the radiators and head gaskets are from Land Rover, it seems to me I would be a masochist to use Land Rover parts again. The only reason I can think of is because the after market parts would last a shorter time than Land Rover parts but I just can't see how that could be possible. I would feel confident that by using genuine Land Rover parts that I will be revisting these repairs all over again in the not too distant future. It reminds me of what my mother used to say "ya let's replace new parts with new parts". At least with after market, it will be interesting to see how long they last. This is coming from someone who replaced the radiator on his 1985 M6 BMW for the first time when the car was 27 years old with twice the mileage of the DII. Radiators and head gaskets seem to be as frequent as oil changes on the DII. I would be interested in hearing others view on straying from the genuine Land Rover parts path. BTW, thanks to everyone who posted to move away from Dexcool. Will do that this time. Thanks. Tom.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

So list what you are wanting and lets see if we can help you.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Buy the head gasket kit from AtlanticBritish and dont use DexCool, simple.
Just in case you were not aware, Land Rover says to change the coolant every 36months or 45,000 miles, so if you had not been doing that that is your problem.
Stay away from the DexCool and you wont have problems no matter what you use gasket wise.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
So list what you are wanting and lets see if we can help you.
Head gasket kit, radiator, coolant hose set. Vehicle has had the original set of Land Rover parts for all of these plus a second set of genuine Land Rover replacement parts. @ 140k, ready to replace all of these again.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Buy the head gasket kit from AtlanticBritish and dont use DexCool, simple.
Just in case you were not aware, Land Rover says to change the coolant every 36months or 45,000 miles, so if you had not been doing that that is your problem.
Stay away from the DexCool and you wont have problems no matter what you use gasket wise.
Well not so simple to me. If you are referring to STC4082BK from AtlanticBritish they are not genuine, it appears. Can get the Victor Reinz set made in Germany from amazon for a lot less $. Victor Reinz seems like a good choice. As with most non-genuine parts from AB, they don't say the brand.

Thanks for the heads up on the 36/45k. We have complied with that. This vehicle has had more Dexcool changes than the diapers of a 1 month old baby.

We have only used Dexcool. I would really really like to think that that is our problem.

FWIW, my wife, it's her vehicle, had the audacity to go to Hearst Castle in CA. The rolling hills challenged that 140k 2001 DII a little too much. The double coolant hose to the heater blow a nice 3" slit and she lost all the coolant. Before she could say uncle, the head gaskets went. It's been a while since I saw 0 psi on a compression gauge. That double coolant hose was genuine LR, replaced a stone age ago.....let's see.... 18k miles ago. Yikes.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I say the AB kit because it has all of the gaskets bolts and everything, use whatever you want, if you can get it cheaper go for it man.
AB does say "genuine" or "aftermarket" for branding on most things.
I really think its the DexCool but I have been wrong before.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should have flushed every last drop of DexCool out the day you bought it.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

I went genuine, I wouldn't go aftermarket.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Call Will Tillery. He has all the parts including heads (already decked w/valve job done) ready to go. You do the HG and send your old heads back to him...

Old 09-04-2012, 11:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

On the radiator, I'm about to install one from Genesis Auto Parts in my '99. FWIW, I've used their all aluminum radiator on my SHO and a few of my friends SHO's with fantastic results. This will be my first time using their standard plastic/ aluminum radiator on anything, I'll let everyone know how it goes as I'll be starting a thread about it.

Genesis charges $150 something plus shipping for their model.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Replacement Parts