Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket running board options

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket running board options

It is getting closer to winter time and long story short, my ol' lady is disabled and very short so has to climb in the truck as it is. With snow I anticipate this being an issue as she can easily slip on the sill where she usually stands to get in (not to mention scrape away the paint and cause it to rust). Are there any front side only running boards that dont require removal of the sill and/or sit lower to the ground? I'm thinking along the lines of those chrome ones with the pad used on pickups a lot. I'd rather not get the long flat ones as I think they look silly and are more expensive than what I need.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think what you're talking about are Nerf Bars.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Rock Crawling

What about genuine LR running boards? about 6" wide and you could put an anti-slip sticking pad on it. You can find enough of them used out there since most D2 drivers take them off for additional clearance.

Check out the links below, and post a thread under the the following section for what your looking for.
Private 'Wanted' Classifieds - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

New Land Rover Discovery Range Rover Classic Complete Running Board Steps Kit | eBay

https://landroverforums.com/forum/pr...scovery-53209/

Anyone know if D1 factory running boards will fit a D2?

Old 10-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Rock Crawling

I really just want something for the front doors only. I want to stay away from the mini van look. I did contemplate sliders with nerf bars but I dont wheel enough to get use.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

ARB makes some running boards that probably stronger than the stock version, but not quite rock sliders.

ARB Protection Steps For Land Rover Discovery II (4432030)

Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by br0keit
I really just want something for the front doors only. I want to stay away from the mini van look. I did contemplate sliders with nerf bars but I dont wheel enough to get use.
The problem you will run into is that any set of new sliders/steps/whatever are going to cost you more than a used set of genuine LR running boards that someone has laying on the side of the house....any rock-slider set won't provide enough of an actual step. I have RTE with nerf bars and it really doesnt stick out all the far to be considered a step.

I haven't seen a setup on a disco with just a front step, if you have access to a welder you could fab one up pretty easily or it would be worth stopping by a metal shop to see if they could do something for you that won't break the bank. If money isnt the issue i would take this route anyway and get what you are really looking for.

If you dont know a welder look on craigslist...i have seen a ton of post on there with guys that have welders and willing to do some work on the side...might learn a thing or two in the process.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Rock Crawling

~$200/each..and not sure on fit...it bolts on but may interfere with the plastic trim along the door.

Link to product data, not just a picture...
Running Boards - We sell more running boards online than anyone - Search - Page 2

Old 10-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Why only the front doors? What are you going to do if she never needs to sit in the rear seat?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by br0keit
Don't know where you are but I'm taking the factory boards off my 04. They are yours if you want them and we can figure out how to ship em.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket running board options