Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

age old question. no flaming please. just suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default age old question. no flaming please. just suggestions.

so my 03 disco transmission is electronically controlled by a computer? am i understanding that right? and thats why engine swaps aren't doable?

if thats the only case, i would love to put a Jeep 4.0 or GM 4.3 and compatible auto trans in mine.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Bombay
so my 03 disco transmission is electronically controlled by a computer? am i understanding that right? and thats why engine swaps aren't doable?

if thats the only case, i would love to put a Jeep 4.0 or GM 4.3 and compatible auto trans in mine.

Anything can be welded into a car that has a traditional frame. Things to consider in a swap are exhaust line routing, firewall and radiator clearance and accessory devices that rely on the native engine.

For instance you will have a hard time mounting pumps and etc to your block without the means to fabricate brackets. I've done a lot of engine swaps and each time little things like power steering pumps kill you.

Imagine mating rover power steering lines to a 4.0L PS pump. First it's hard to find people willing to make the hoses, second it may not supply the required pressure. Next things like...do you want AC?

I think the biggest issue on swaps is the exhaust, when you pick an engine that people make aftermarket headers for it's easy. When you look at a 4.3 which doesn't have center dump manifolds it becomes tricky to route those lines past the firewall without a tig welder and some serious skills.

Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Bombay

the transmission in our trucks is one of the best built pieces of our trucks. to get rid of it to do an engine swap is just stupid IMHO... if you want a different engine get a different truck because the swap is just a complete waste of time and money for these trucks.

not to mention putting a jeep engine in a land rover is possibly the most offensive and absurd thing i ever have heard.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a company(don't remember the name) that makes adapter pieces to physically mount the chevy 4.3, but with an '03, I think you would loose ALL your electronic goodies.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What are you trying to accomplish by doing this? I am sure this guy is looking for a local sale (he is kind of local to me) but this may give you some other ideas.:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/1496272115.html

keep in mind my 97 stock horsepower is rated at 182 HP @ 4,750 rpm. and this 5 liter is rated at 300 HP

Last edited by Rover Chris; 12-19-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Jeep 4.0L but I don't think a swap would be worth the trouble. I forget the exact numbers but I'm thinking you would lose some torque..and as stated above the rover auto tranny is very reliable. Why not do a 300tdi swap instead?

Old 12-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's unfortunate that some of our Rovers (notice that I didn't say all) will have serious issues that we've grown to take for granted in other cars.

I'd be pissed if my oil pump and head gaskets both failed before 60k in a Toyota, for instance.

However, we have Rovers because we love them. We tacitly accept their shortcomings because the intrinsic value of owning one outweighs driving something else.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

agreed if you are going to swap go to a 300 tdi.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:18 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
I'm a big fan of the Jeep 4.0L but I don't think a swap would be worth the trouble. I forget the exact numbers but I'm thinking you would lose some torque..and as stated above the rover auto tranny is very reliable. Why not do a 300tdi swap instead?
you are correct. the 4.0 inline was something like 220 or 230 ft-lbs if i remember correctly. seeing as i owned a 06 rubicon. the lack of torque was not a issue die to the light weight and 6 sp manual tranny.

but in a disco the 4.0 will in all likelihood be too long and the firewall will need to be modified. the loss in torques will be enough to seriously hinder the weight of the disco. the electronics will not work and even if they did you would most likely see a loss in MPG's.

the lesson here is that rover used a certain engine and tranny combo for a reason. stick with it.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So why not a BMW engine? They use the ZF and are Bosch electronics and are WAY more reliable?!

Quick Reply: age old question. no flaming please. just suggestions.