Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

air conditioner burnt smell and smoke + condensation

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air conditioner burnt smell and smoke + condensation

I purchased a '99 Discovery 2 w/ 112k. Ran well for a few thousand miles and now at 115k a host of problems! One immediate problem:was runningthe a/c or climate controlyesterday and started smelling what seemed like a burnt coolant smell. My girlfriend said it smelled like burnt ****. Ran for 15 minutes or longer before shutting it off. Then a small billow of smoke spit out of the dash vents. Decided to run a test by running the fan only in econo mode- no smoke and no more burnt smell. Then shut the system off and noticed condensation on the inner windshield above the defrost vents. It got bad enough to where I had to run the defrost fan.
Today the condensation did not seem to return. One thing to point out in case its interrelated- I have a minor head gasket coolant leak (suspect its been like that for quite some time) and I get the occasional infamous gurgguling sound when the water level gets a little low. I try to stay up on it, filling the res about 2 quarts every month. AT the time of yesterdays problem the coolant level was good and no noticable high tempreadings. Normal driving has the temp gage at just above 1/2 reading.Also should note that I often feel a little warm air coming thru the vents even when the system is shut off.
Bought this truck from a guy named Levi who claims to be a LR tech w/ and independent somewhere outside of San Louis Obispo in California. I think he's a cheat. I keep seeing him post new Discovery's on Ebay and Craigslist. Just thought to bring that one up.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: air conditioner burnt smell and smoke + condensation

Check your condensate drains. It is the easiest to start with. They are right under the center hump under the truck. Be careful, cause if they are full, they might squirt on you.

If your a/c is freezing up and keeping condesation, it will smell like pee and look like you are standing there with the freezer door open. Check your freon level after this. If you sometimes have cold and sometimes warm air, it isn't right.

Could have a leaky heater core. Check for wetness on the carpets. This would also explain a coolant leak. It should be a sweet smell, not pee, though

Note- when you run the defrost, it kicks the compressor on. It uses the a/c to dry the air going to your windshield.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

To many things to ask and talk about, so call me and I will run down a list of stuff for you.
Mike
303-862-7680
Colorado

Old 06-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Rock Crawling

OKDISCOGUY/anyone,

I think I need to check my drain as well. Are you meaning it's near the transfer? My coolant levels are good but my fiance says the bottom of her purse gets damp on the pass side floor but I've never noticed it (I drive). And I also get condinsation in the middle of my windshield in the mornings. Could these be related?

Ugly '03 Disco, 41K Miles

Mike- My fiance who I had to convince about the disco is in love with it! Some mornings if she leaves before me I'm stuck driving her Tahoe.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Sounds like the drain to me. Here's a pic of mine. One is under the truck, the other is from the passenger side, inside the truck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5440/9120C0C238514E78A33A7D630C69B2E1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/5440/737E818571B94E4AAB04D3B313BEC4F3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling

awesome, thanks for the pic!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling

okdiscoguy, is the second pic taken toward the front right corner near engine compartment?

Old 06-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Camel Trophy

It is where the glove box meets the transmission hump. You can see the box on the right, and the floof vents are ont the left. This is the top of the hose. Should come clear if you just squeeze it. I took mine all of the way out, but it is a little tricky to get back in.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Rock Crawling

GOT IT!!! I started on the passenger side and once I stuck it with a piece of a clothes hanger and it pissed out about two cups of "old condensation" and build up.

After my moral victory over the passenger side I figured since my shirt was already dirty I decided to handily defeat the drivers side valve. From an uphill position I smartly applied a little bit of pressure that allowed about 2 tablespoons of stank dirt and debris to shoot down my arm and into my arm pit.
I cleaned them both out but the Disco ultimately won with her well placed shot!

Thanks for the help guys. It was one of those little things that needed to be taken care of that I didn't even realize until I had a pool of water in my carpets!

Thanks again.

-Ugly

Old 08-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Mudding

Should have posted my results long ago so sorry people. Kudos to DiscoMike- what a generous soul. I called him as he offered earlier in the thread and he spent at least 45 minutes on the phone with me answering questions- w/out asking for anything in return. Try getting that kind of love from a LR dealership!!
The a/c problem was exactly what he thought it was- clogged drain plugs. Being in southern California I just went ahead and removed them- after poking wire thru and getting muck all over my face. The removal was at first an accident as one fell out as I plunged thru w/ the wire.
So a new question- bad idea to drive with them off? I got the idea from my 97 Chevy Tahoe which didnt have protective plugs at all.
Just in case discomike sees this- I nevermade it to Big Caliente hot springs in the Santa Barbara mountains. What a cool trek in the Discovery however! Some firemen were up there and they told me at the Y in the road to the springs to not bother as the raging Zaca fire (still burning?) was looming and that the road was blocked about three miles before the springs so me and my girl would have to walk for miles and neither of us were ready after all that Santa Ynez wine tasting and to mention the 100 degree heat! Thanks for that great tip however- local only knowledge! I'll dive into those springs one of these days. And thanks again for all of your help. W/ out you we would have suffered from lack of proper a/c function. God bless the LR forums.

Quick Reply: air conditioner burnt smell and smoke + condensation