Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioning Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Problem

Hey All,
My disco 2 has been letting me down in terms of a/c over the past couple weeks of hot weather here in NJ. All seems to be well when I am moving however if I idle for a bit it all but quits completely. I understand that if you are sitting in traffic in 100 degree weather then the a/c might not be working at optimal levels, but in my case it barely works at all. I have what looks like good drainage from under the truck and I know that my aux fan is working well as I just replaced it a few months ago. Considering this, what should be my first course of action? Are those over the counter recharge kits worth anything? Any help will be appreciated.

One thing to mention that is strange is that I get a hissing sound from time to time while the a/c is on. It also happens when I turn off the truck .... which I believe has always happened .... but now it occurs while I am driving.

Last edited by starcraft1; 06-30-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds low on freon

Old 06-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Rock Crawling

I second the low on freon. Go buy one of those hoses and a can of 134 and charge it up. Its too hot outside for no ac.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Somebody should evac and recharge your system. The proper way is evac the system for twenty minutes. Recharge a/c system and add pag oil and dye. System pressure at idle low side 20-33 psi high side 200-220 psi give or take. Vent temp 48-52 give or take. Measure how freon came out, so you know how low you were.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Three Wheeling

Sounds like I need freon. Can I evac the system myself with the over the counter kit? I really don't like bringing my truck to the mechanic so I would rather do it myself if it is possible.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by starcraft1
Sounds like I need freon. Can I evac the system myself with the over the counter kit? I really don't like bringing my truck to the mechanic so I would rather do it myself if it is possible.
You'll need a vacuum pump and some manifold gauges to do it correctly:

Any of these should work, but the electric pumps probably will get the job done quick and with less noise:

Vacuum Pump - AC Vacuum Pump w/ R134A & R12 Connectors
Air Conditioning Vacuum Pump - Two Stage, 3 CFM
Electric Vacuum Pump - 2.5 CFM

And something like this to monitor vacuum/pressure:

AC Gauges - Save on this AC Manifold Gauge Set

Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Rock Crawling

If you are low on freon, just add some. If you have a gauge set, then use that and monitor the high and low presure as you are adding it. If you don't have the gauges, and are just looking for some relief, adding a can of freon will probably do the trick. There is no need to evacuate the system unless you are opening it up to repair the leak that you likely have. Also make sure to clean your radiator and condenser fins with simple green and a gargen hose. Make sure you electric fan is working correctly. I just replaced mine yesterday as it was siezed up. When it is hot like this and you are running the ac, if your cooling system is not up to par, then you will have trouble.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If low on freon, then I would also suggest buying a can of freon that comes with a gauge and hose, read the directions and recharge the system your self.
Having it pumped down and refilled is more for a system with a major issue and or a leak, you most likely have just not serviced the system in many year and slowly they run low on freon.
Make sure to read the directions and whatever you do, do not over fill the system thinking that a little extra will make it colder cause it won't and you will have problems.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:52 AM
Default Disco 1 AC problems

Hi, I have a 1998 model Discovery 1- automatic transmission. The air conditioning has started to give me trouble lately. While driving in very hot weather, the front blower (AC unit) switches off for anything between few seconds to a few minutes & then comes back on. The rear unit works fine all this time. This phenomenon usually doesn't happen in the evenings or mornings.

I did get freon topped professionally. Plus maintain the car in very good condition. What may be wrong? Electrical issues?

Appreciate your help....

Old 04-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Sounds like it needs a re-gas with freon. Generally I get the garage shop to recharge as I've never tried the DIY route. TIP: Use the climate control A/C regularly, say once a week even during the winter as the compressor seals dry out and start to leak out gas. When recharging you need to ensure the A/C oil is also put into the system (it's all in the RAVE Manual) The problem is using 'Econ' mode for long periods doesn't 'exercise' the A/C compressor. Usually I just leave the Climate Control A/C on permanently and very occasionally turn to Econ to 'exercise' the compressor clutch.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Problem