Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airtex water pumps

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 01:45 PM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jastutte
i second the "air in the system."

try bleeding everything again.
All air is out. No sounds from dash. Coolant tank full. Cant add more through bleed screw. It's the pump. Excuse my Norwegian but the New Air Tex's are sh--t. No brass. 100% steel/aluminum - made in China. That's why they are "on sale" at AB. Because most people (besides me apparently) read up were smart enough not to buy em,

Compare the radius and scooper size of the new airtex to your old pump. These are smaller = less force = less movement = hotter engine. If you hafve an Airtex that works it's probably the old air tex with the brass impeller. Air Tex stopped making those. These are now made in China from steel/alum.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:50 PM
Banned

Whatever water pump I had before had a bigger wheel radius with bigger scooper's than the Airtex. That's why the temps were 186. Now they are 206+. Airtex is the only reason. I got no head gasket symptoms .. no loss of coolant ,, no HG codes .. no pressure in the upper hose .. it's the new Airtex pump..

If anyone knows of a pump with a big wheel and scoopers please let us know.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I plopped in a 30.00 Ebay special last month into the 02 I was tinkering with. Compared it to the one I pulled out, and the impeller was identical, same hose intake size, and it looked to be made well. Slapped it on & nada zip nothing as far as issues. I’ve personally never bought an Airtex waterpump. I’ve been doing this long enough to know companies like Airtex, Gates, AC DELCO, GMB, and CARDONE = all the same darn part just in a different box!! The only difference used to with a brass impeller. I’m not going to pay double for a pretty box with a Gates name on it for the same part as the 30.00 Ebay unit.

Stuff from China isn’t as bad as it used to be. I find their stuff better vs URO AKA European garbage!

I have 3 D2’s so I get to install something and compare it’s performance vs other brands/types. Water pump wise = noticed zero issues.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidOHendo
If you hafve an Airtex that works it's probably the old air tex with the brass impeller. Air Tex stopped making those. These are now made in China from steel/alum.

both my water pumps had steel impellers.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

I have a picture I found on an old HDD of some LR parts I tried to sell back in 2005/2006 and there is a generic 35.00 water pump in a brown no name box with a brass impeller. It was not an Airtex brand I know that for certain. Just different manufacturer processes now and steel vs brass impellers. Be glad it’s not a plastic impeller pressed onto a metal shaft!!!

Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 PM
Banned

Ok well you guys know everything so what do you need my imput for .. your Air Tex works .. you used a $30 Ebay part..so I must be doing something wrong ..

186 degrees ...

REPLACED WATER PUMP WITH AIR TEX

206 degrees....

What am I missing here? The pump spins. It works. AND when I hard rev - the temp goes down.. thats because the wheel radius and scoopers are too damn small .. Dont see any water pump comparison threads at all mentioning this. I am trying to help by offering this new information .. because I know want I saw. and I'm telling you I compared the new Airtex to the old pump side by side and the wheel radious and scoopers were smaller

think whatever you want.

Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidOHendo
Ok well you guys know everything so what do you need my imput for .. your Air Tex works .. you used a $30 Ebay part..so I must be doing something wrong ..

186 degrees ...

206 degrees....

What am I missing here? The pump spins. It works. AND when I hard rev - the temp goes down.. thats because the wheel radius and scoopers are too damn small .. Dont see any water pump comparison threads at all mentioning this. I am trying to help by offering this new information .. because I know want I saw. and I'm telling you I compared the new Airtex to the old pump side by side and the wheel radious and scoopers were smaller

think whatever you want.
dude. calm down. we aren't the ones having the temp issues. you are. i never said i doubted that.
we were just sharing our experience with the Airtex pumps and the fact that this experience points to the fact that you may be having other issues.

you said that because my temps were good i must have gotten the older style brass impellers. i confirmed that i did not. both pumps were the steel style. i'm not saying i know better than you, i just know what impellers my Airtex pumps have and what my temps are.

and like i mentioned earlier, you may have gotten a bad water pump right out of the box. who knows. and you may be right. the impellers may be smaller now than they were in the past.

i'm sorry you are frustrated and dealing with the higher temps. that sucks.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

You posted another thread on how to clean a radiator, what all have you messed with cooling wise? What made you change the water pump? You could have a clogged radiator (internal & external), worn fan clutch, air in the system, or just weather related temps rising as winter is over.

Fact is you replaced the water pump & now it runs hot. Something changed be it the water pump (I personally always compare parts before installing them), debris in the radiator moved around when you had the system apart.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:35 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

OMG this just never ends...……………

The following 2 users liked this post by OverRover:
JUKE179r (04-10-2019), shanechevelle (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Put the old pump back on dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it cools down when you rev the motor, it's usually AIR FLOW related. Does it run cool while driving? If so, you have a bad radiator, or clutch fan.

Quick Reply: Airtex water pumps