Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 10:05 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Help?

Hello all,
Have a 04 Discovery HSE. Recently got the 32,500 service at the dealership and had them also do an alignment since the disco felt like it was pulling slightly to the left. Not really noticeable ataround-town speeds. But on the highway at 65+ mph you have to tilt the steering wheel a few degrees to the right to keep the vehichle straight. Land Rover saidI needed new tires since my stock Goodyears werepretty worn. I replaced allfour tires with newBridgestone Dueler Alenza tires. My Disco stillpulledslightly left at highway speeds.If I center the steering wheel, the vehichle wants to go left. So to go straight it seems like I'm always in aslight right turn.

Took it back to Land Rover and had them re-check the alignment and re-center the steering wheel. They said the alignmentwas to specifications and it is likely the road conditions.Don't notice around town but on the highway I consciously have to pull the steering wheel slightly right to keep it straight on flat highways. Is this normal? Don't want to wear through a new set of tires. It's not bad, but definitely noticeable. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

2004 Land Rover Discovery II HSE

Old 05-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Alignment Help?

Well, one of the first things you will learn about the dealers is they can't do an alignment to save their lives.
Go by a go alignment shop and have them check it.
Mike

Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A good alignment guy would never ever tell you it's to specifications and that's all the more he can do. They are just being lazy. The whole reason why adjusments on alignment are available is because as the vehicle is driventhe tires/parts wear change the alignment. The alignment is adjusted relative to how the vehicle drives and has nothing to do with specifications, theyshould only be used a base point. That type of laziness pisses me off especiallywith a rover dealiership. I took mine to land rover cause sears couldn't do it or something and they did a @#$%$ job. I'd complain to them more or file a formal, or just have to find another shop. Let us know how it goes.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Make sure the pressure of the tires are exactly the same on the axles - both fronts are the same, etc.
Some roads have more of a grade than others - they're not flat on purpose, the water has to drain off.
Wind will make a difference too.

If all this checks out and they still say it's in spec, get a tread depth guage and measure each tire in the center and each edge every 500 miles. Keep a notebook and you can prove there is alignment wear.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:16 PM
7th Gear

Sounds like the dealership is giving me the run around. As much of a hassle it is to drive 50miles to the dealership for a third time for the same problem - I want them to do their job. I would like totake the mechanic for a test drive so he can see for himself. Do they typically test drive vehicles after an alignment to confirm it's in fact aligned??? or do they merely line up some tick marks and call it good by visual inspection?

Old 12-02-2007, 03:25 AM
7th Gear

took my 04 disco to a firestone complete auto care center for the lifetime alignment. they seemed more helpful and showed me the spec sheet with the specified/actual camber, toe, caster etc. they said they were able to adjust the fronts but the rears were out of spec. they said the rear tires/wheels are not adjustable for alignment. is this true? $140 later - alignement is still off. with the steering wheel centered, she definitely drifts to the left. any ideas?

Old 12-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Administrator

$140, they raped you at that price. There is only a toe setting on a Disco, front only. What is your alignment doing to you?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Just took my old '99 Rodeo to Firestone here in CO and paid $69.95 for an alignment. It was their standard, posted price. What else did they do in your case that added to the bill?

Dave

Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

He bought the Lifetime alignment so he can go back whenever it needs to be checked for free.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 PM
7th Gear

yeah - the $140 was for lifetime alignment for as long as i own the vehicle. figured it'd pay for itself after 3 alignments.

anyway, with the steering wheel centered on a long straight roadmy disco will drift to the left. so it always seems as though i'm putting in right correction. it's not so much pulling - though it does seem inclined to want to go left.i'm not fighting the steering wheel to go straight, it's just more annoying than anything, and i don't want to wear thebrand new tires a just replaced.

Quick Reply: Alignment Help?