Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all synthetic oils the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all synthetic oils the same?

... yeah.. I was wondering, because today I am going to attempt to change my own oil!.. This is a big step for me! haha

I was also wondering, I have heard about using the ATF to flush the engine. What kind of ATF should I use?? How many times does this need to be done?? It sounds alittle iffy for me..

Let me know!

Thanks!

John-Robert

Old 05-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Are all synthetic oils the same?

Royal Purple out performs all others, but is more expensive. Mobile one is a good oil. Castrol syntec is ok, not technically synthetic, just over-refined conventional; they can call it synthetic. I sell RP, but for cost, go with Mobile 1 because you should not do extended drains to make up for the offset of cost.

People may disagree, but I have performed the tests myself and have seen the results. I listed in order of performance. Good Luck!

Jason

Old 05-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jury is still out on Royal Purple.I ran it in my bike for awhile and to be honest I saw no increase in performance or horsepower and the bike did not seem to run any cooler.What I did notice is that the RP turns brown once the purple dye heats up and looks rather disgusting when viewed through the oil window in the bike engine.I honestly don't know if this stuff has any benificial properties,but what I do know is that this company spends a ton of money on advertising , gimmicky packaging and sponserships,not to mention the purple dye.How much time and effort they put into research is anyones guess.I don't mind spending the extra cash on premium products for my truck(I actually like knowing I'm running the best),but before I start running this stuff in my Discovery's fussy engine I gotta see some more test results from REAL automotive test facilities,and not these mystery Labs that may or may not exist.I actually would like to give this stuff a chance,but it just seems so gimmicky.........purple dye?

Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Three Wheeling

why doesn't anyone mention Amsoil. if you want test results they seem to have what you want. I use nothing butAmsoil in my disco. all synthetic, including their oil filter. its a little on the pricey side. but, my truck runs great for a 2000 disco with 84,000 miles on her.I have tried RP and had mixed results. whats the dye for? and it cost more. I have had no problem with extended oil changes, no leaks no seepage and no I am not a rep. just my two cents worth.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:04 AM
Camel Trophy

ORIGINAL: gtagg

why doesn't anyone mention Amsoil. if you want test results they seem to have what you want. I use nothing butAmsoil in my disco. all synthetic, including their oil filter. its a little on the pricey side. but, my truck runs great for a 2000 disco with 84,000 miles on her.I have tried RP and had mixed results. whats the dye for? and it cost more. I have had no problem with extended oil changes, no leaks no seepage and no I am not a rep. just my two cents worth.
Do noy run extended drain because these engines run too rich. I run an oil analysis at every change, and there is too much fuel in the oil to go much past 6K. The dye is for looks. That's it.

Old 05-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks J.
I went to 7000 miles. before the change over, even then, I was a little worried,I always changed it at 3000 miles. so thats good to know. even at 7000 the oil looked clean. still felt good. but I take no chances. thanks again
G....

Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 PM
Camel Trophy

Sure thing. Disco Mike keyed me into this one. I started checking, and while it may look clean, it has too much fuel. I have about 90K on my engine, and was worried about it. Mike had told me about it, and I got my test results back a few days later.

Amsoil is a good oil. About the same price as RP. I sell to the industrial market, so it doesn't make me any difference to me what people run in their cars. All I know is what I have seen from the tests I have run. Myself- not some "mystery Labs that may or may not exist', as Newfoundlandrover said. Not too sure what he meant. The University of North Carolina, Oklahoma State University, and an EPA sanctioned test track in Auburn seem like real places to me. Anyways, I have not tested against Amsoil, but might in the future. I am sure it will come close with all of the people I hear running it. I will check with our labs in TX to see how we do against amsoil in gear lubes and let you know what I find. I know our oxidation tests are WAY lower than the leaders out there.

Cheers!

Jason

Old 05-13-2007, 10:48 PM

I've got a full case of Royal Purple 10w40 and another half case of Royal Purple Max Cycle 10w40 sitting in my garage,so believe me I want to give this stuff a chance,but it just seems too gimmicky.I'm really trying to take this stuff seriously,but heck,the only thing that cartoonish purple bottle is missing is a picture of Barney or Dora The Explorer.Oh yeah,lets not forget the purple dye in the oil....thats just for looks. Who is it suppose to appeal to?...3 year olds? or the little clown living in my engine? Listen,I bought into the hype,so their advertising works,I remember doing the same thing a few years ago with Slick 50 and where are they now?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:29 PM

Okdiscoguy,
If you get a chance,get back to me with some long term test results.What I really want to know here is,will Royal Purple run cooler than other sythetic oils? I'm really interested in getting my engine to run cooler in order to lessen the chance of overheating.I do frequent oil changes in order to keep the oil at peak viscosity and have never had an overheating issue to date.If Royal Purple runs clean and cool and is a top contender with oils like Amsol and Mobil 1,I'll give it a try.I've already got over $100 worth of it in my garage that I would like to use at some point.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Drifting

I have a question about oil. Whats your feeling on how time vs. miles affect the viscosity of the oil. I know that petroleum lubes break down over time, and we drive only around 6-9k a year. Will synthetic hold up to 2 oil changes a year, or does it need to be changed more often? I have been running regular petroleum based oil in my Disco, but am interested in synthetics. I change our oil every 3 months for viscosity.

Quick Reply: Are all synthetic oils the same?