Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alpine iDA-X100 installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine iDA-X100 installation

Has anyone installed an Alpine iDA-X100 or similar model in their Disco? I have one arriving on Wednesday and I'm looking for any "gotchas" before self-installing in my '04.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:57 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Alpine iDA-X100 installation

I have the X200 in my 97. You will need some form of converter to convert the speaker outputs to low level amp inputs for the factory amps. The other options is to eliminate the factory amps from the system which running new wires from the deck directly to the speakers.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Mudding

i have a question does that happen on all discos because i installed my radio and it sounds pretty good better then factory and all i did was plug and play its been about six months or so and amp is still good. i am planing on adding a 4 channel to get better sound in the next couple of months so i would no longer need the factory amp.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Mudding

I recently installed a Clarion DVD unit in my 03. Not too difficult, I purchased a wiring harness adapter to use with the factory amp/speaker setup. The actual install was easy, cleaning up the wires and removing part of front dash parts were time consuming.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Drifting

So far this is not going so well. The adapter that came from Crutchfield isn't as specific as I had hoped. Does anyone have the wiring schematic for the Alpine R990?

Old 01-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Mudding

Crutchfield screwed up the harness i ordered too then tried telling me they were right. the harness must have the rcas on the ends where the speaker wires will be if you have the factory amp. you can solder on rca ends if you are handy with that stuff though

Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you can either: 1 bypass your factory amp, 2. get the correct harness (will have 4 RCA's attached to it) or 3. you can buy a level converter from walmart or best buy or wherever (I think the blue scosche ones are under $20 at walmart) and this will convert your speaker level outputs to low level for the factory amp. If you choose options 2 or 3 you must also have the amp turn on wire (blue/white wire on alpine harness) connected to the power antenna wire on the crutchfield harness (blue) as well.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

if you want to bypass the amp or need any help with the wiring I will be happy to tell you how to get it done.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

LRD2 no it does not happen in all discos they do make a low level system that does not have a seperate factory amp however they are not too common, usually if the vehicle does not have tweeters on the "A" posts then it is not an amplified system.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Rover Chris

LRD2 no it does not happen in all discos they do make a low level system that does not have a seperate factory amp however they are not too common, usually if the vehicle does not have tweeters on the "A" posts then it is not an amplified system.
metra

thats the thing mine has the tweeters on the "A" pillars and also subs in the rear door but i am just wondering if i hooked something up wrong. i used a kit for VW i hooked up and checked with my multi-meter and the only problem i came across was that the power and ignition was reversed so i fixed that and hooked up the amp turn on and everything else worked great i am planing on changing all the speakers out and adding an alpine 4-channel amp. eliminating the factory amp so will see how that goes. by the time am done ill have a full factory system to sell

Quick Reply: Alpine iDA-X100 installation