Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I Missing Something Here- Auto Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I Missing Something Here- Auto Lamps

We have a 2001 Disco II and I am having a hard time believing this thing does not have auto lamps? I searched the forums but was not finding anything? There is what appears to be a light sensor on the top of the dash, but not 100% sure, as it is not listed in the owners manual. Please help.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Overlanding

Do you mean auto lamps as the head lights auto turning on when it gets dark? There aren't any. The sensor on the dash is for the climate control.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Mudding

Yea, I had that disbelief also... the stripper Chevy Silverado I had even had autolamps... and it didn't have carpeting, PW, PL, or even cruise control.......

Oh well, can't have everything, I will definitely keep the Disco over the silverado

Old 04-09-2009, 06:15 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

None of the Discoveries have auto headlights. LR wants the driver to have to think a little for themselves. The sensor on top of the dash is for the automatic climate control. It senses how hard the sun is beating down on the windshield and adjust the climate control to compensate.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Robmcin
Yea, I had that disbelief also... the stripper Chevy Silverado I had even had autolamps... and it didn't have carpeting, PW, PL, or even cruise control.......

Oh well, can't have everything, I will definitely keep the Disco over the silverado
Almost all cars and trucks with Day Time Running Lamps have auto on headlamps.
They have to do this because the people who drive these kinds of cars think that the DRL's are their headlamps and these people are generally not smart enough to turn their headlights on.
They are not smart enough to realize that with DRL's only your headlamps are on and not your tail lights.
This is why the newer Oldsmobile Aurora has Day Time Running Tail Lamps too.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Mudding

Well, I have definitely seen people running in the dark with their drl's.. I always wonder why they think they have no dash lights and how they know how fast they are driving..

Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Team Owner

My ex mother in law drove with 2 feet, one on the brake pedal and the other on the gas pedal, she always complained that her cruise control would "just stop working for no reason", if you followed her every time she drove over a bump her brake lights would come on.
In the city her brake lights would alway be on.
Could never figure out why she needed new brakes all the time either.
So glad I dont have to deal with her any more.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Robmcin
Well, I have definitely seen people running in the dark with their drl's.. I always wonder why they think they have no dash lights and how they know how fast they are driving..
These are the same people who NEED DRL's, they are so self absorbed and unaware of whats going on around them that they are dangerous.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Mom's Mercedes turn the marker/tail lights on with the DRLs. Soon as it starts to get dark the Xenon lights kick on and it's like daylight again.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Mom's Mercedes turn the marker/tail lights on with the DRLs. Soon as it starts to get dark the Xenon lights kick on and it's like daylight again.
Yeah but that is a REAL car and not a POS Saturn or Chevy.

Quick Reply: Am I Missing Something Here- Auto Lamps