Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amigos, Shuttle Valve, ABS Modulator??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amigos, Shuttle Valve, ABS Modulator??

I just replaced my brakes including rotors, pads and extended lines form AB. Within 100 miles my Amigos came on. Took it to the local Rover guy who read the codes. He got a fault code for the shuttle valve and a switch of some sort. Tomorrow he's replacing a $10 pump switch, and installing a $65 Shuttle Valve repair kit.

What are the chances this could lead to needing a new ABS Modulator??

For the record, the ABS is not working. Brakes are not squeeling...not much anyway. Just a slight squeek at times. Brake feel is good. Power to the brakes is good.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine has been acting the same way since my brake job,,,

ill be curious to hear what the diagnosis is/was

Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 PM
4wd Low

So I understand I lose my DH control function, Traction Control and ABS, but how would that really impact me off road? Seems my Traction Control is a dubious feature at times. I could see it helping in snow, sand, etc, but in general does the lack of TC really hinder off roading?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

That kit you are talking about has a very low success rate, it usually requires the $800 kit for the fix so make sure if this won't fix your problem that they not charge you for it.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:28 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
That kit you are talking about has a very low success rate, it usually requires the $800 kit for the fix so make sure if this won't fix your problem that they not charge you for it.
Thnks Mike. Okay, so I don't have ABS. That I can live with short term. The descent control is not something I've ever used outside of goofing around to see if it works, so that's no biggie. How serious is the lack of Traction Control?

I ask because i was planning a small trip to Colorado this next week. No real "wheeling" outside of gravel roads. Would I be asking for trouble?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

People have reported tearing open their ABS module and resoldering the connections where they have failed. I think if you are a handy person and you knew your shuttle valve or ABS module was shot you could tear it open and see if you can spot any bad connections:

http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com/brakes/absmod.pdf

Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The reports are true .....

Last weekend I pulled a friends TD5 ABS module apart to fix the " 3 little buggers". The module already had a new shuttle valve switch in it, but it failed to fight the little buggers off!!!.......

so it HAD to be a dry joint somewhere in there. Dug away and found one of the pins had a dry joint, re-soldered both, now a clear dashboard!!!

Its a simply task and saves a LOT of money / hassle

Old 07-30-2009, 09:52 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine have shut off the last week or so. i dont know why.

last thing i did was make a few hard panic stops when they were on. they went off and have been off since. i dont know why hahaha. goofy *** land rovers hahahaha

Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 AM
4wd Low

Update: My Rover mechanic (who I really trust as an expert) installed the little $65 Shuttle Valve Repair kit, bled the brakes twice and the lights went off. He drove it, all functions seemed to be working and then came back to check the codes. The fault codes were still there, but the lights were off...for now. He's driving it around for a couple days to see if the lights stay off and the codes clear.

I'm wondering if the actual Shuttle Valve needs to be replaced. Think it could be the modulator itself?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:39 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Read the link in my post above and see Urban Panzer's post. Yes it could be either and people have figured out some good fixes.

Quick Reply: Amigos, Shuttle Valve, ABS Modulator??