Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another disco 2 won't start thread and a cry for help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:06 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another disco 2 won't start thread and a cry for help

I have lurked here for a long time and have found many useful recommendations. I have run into a problem that I have not been able to overcome.

I have an 03 disco 2 SE7 and estimate that it has cost me half-a-dollar a mile to drive it since I have owned it, but I love it anyway.

So here's my current dilemma. I drove the truck to work, had a full day of work, and went to start it up in the evening- just cranked, but did not fire.
I caught a quick ride home with a co-worker. The next morning started right up no issue. I drove it for a few days with no problems, went to the gym during the day and again it would not start. Left it there for a few hours, came back and started up. Drove it home about 15 miles and just as I made it to my neighborhood both the M and S lights flashed on and went into limp mode. Parked it overnight, started right back up next morning, drove it around the block and went back into limp mode with SES light on now.

Pulled codes and gave me p-0341 camshaft sensor along with misfire codes for several cylinders. Ordered a new crankshaft sensor by mistake, installed it (yes, correctly- sensor, spacers, bolts), ordered the camshaft sensor and installed it also. Went to start it up and still just cranks.

Battery juice is fine, fuel pump is engaging, did not check for spark yet. Wanted to get some opinions before I have it towed to the shop. I haven't seen this combination of issues on this forum; I have read through most the 'wont starts', 'camshaft sensor' and 'crankshaft sensor' posts.

caveat- the engine was replaced a little more than a year ago, and many, many components have been replaced also.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Fire/ fuel / air

Check spark / check pressure at rail/ make sure it can breath