Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another failed coil pack

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 05:04 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another failed coil pack

Hello All, I've got a 2002 D2 with about 156k mi. About 8 months ago, misfire and codes appeared, so replaced both coil packs (1 bad), plugs, wires, and injectors cleaned. 3 months ago, one coil pack failed, CEL/misfire codes again, and it stumbled when driving. My mechanic figured water got in the pack. We replaced both again, life was good. Well, this week, same issues, no lights (yet), but identical symptoms. Is there something further upstream we should be looking at that would be eating coil packs so freqently, or should I jut buy them in bulk. Houston's had rain, but I haven't run through deep water.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Sam

Old 06-19-2016, 06:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BBSam
Hello All, I've got a 2002 D2 with about 156k mi. About 8 months ago, misfire and codes appeared, so replaced both coil packs (1 bad), plugs, wires, and injectors cleaned. 3 months ago, one coil pack failed, CEL/misfire codes again, and it stumbled when driving. My mechanic figured water got in the pack. We replaced both again, life was good. Well, this week, same issues, no lights (yet), but identical symptoms. Is there something further upstream we should be looking at that would be eating coil packs so freqently, or should I jut buy them in bulk. Houston's had rain, but I haven't run through deep water.
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Sam
If your windshield cowling is cracked (as most are, I.e. Plastic, old, brittle) then water will drain down onto the motor instead of to the sides like the design is intended. I have had some issues with mine so tried glueing it until I got a better unit. The JB Weld epoxy did not work for me so if I can get the dried epoxy off I would try again with Gorilla Glue. These D2 windshield cowling cost about $300 new.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

The cowl should drain out the sides vs in the middle. If it's clogged on the sides it could fill up, but you'd have a TX sized flash flood thru the fresh air intake.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:31 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try another MAF?

Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 AM
Mudding
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Also make sure all of the bolts are on the coil pack bracket and snug. I have heard that the coil packs can get bad ground if the bolts are loose or missing plus the vibration of a loose pack can possibly damage it.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Overlanding

Well, I think y'all are correct about my cowl. After looking at it, low and behold I've got two large cracks in the middle area that are displaced. In addition, the rubber gasket piece is pretty loose, so I imagine, it's running down the firewall/coils. I'd buy a used one on eBay, but I'm not sure they'd last very long. I'll just buy and new one.
Thanks!

Old 06-20-2016, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

If water runs down your windshield, and your cowl is cracked the water is going to run into the channel above the firewall (where the water is channeled to run in the first place). The channel is raised in the center so the water will drain out to either side. If for some crazy reason both side drains are completely clogged you would have a massive amount of water pouring into your HVAC system.

I truly don't see how that much water would be pooling and overflowing that channel without you having other issues first (without the engine even running). The coil packs are basically located under and slightly back from that completely metal channel above.

I'd check your coil pack main connectors, and are you using some good quality wires like Magnacore, or Kingsborne? The cheap ones found at local auto stores honestly DO NOT last very long. If you aren't setting any misfire faults right away I'd really really inspect your spark plug wires/plugs first. Misfires on a D2 are usually very obvious and it will run like a dog. If you're having issues with getting a good clean 12v to the actual coil packs that could cause misfires that would be much harder to track down.

You honestly need some CEL's to go by or we're all just tossing ideas to the wind. Heck I had one D2 that had what seemed like a horrific misfire under load up a hill or upon accelerating, but not a single misfire fault. I tore the intake manifold off, replaced all the wires, 2 new coil packs, new spark plugs, and put it all back together. Took it for a drive on around the block all seemed well. Few days later I drove it further for about an hour and BOOM it was back doing the same exact thing. I couldn't track it down to save my life.

I was changing the oil the following weekend and I bumped the front driveshaft while I was removing the drain plug. It wiggled!!!!!!! I never even bothered to question it as the previous owner had just slapped it on maybe a month or two before I bought it. I immediately removed that $$$ aftermarket fully grease-able drive shaft and found the center ball trashed and two u joints with slop in them. I'm guessing the previous owner just slapped it on out of the box straight onto the D2 without actually greasing it............... I wasn't even thinking of the misfire issue at this point as all I was worried about was saving my transmission from a ticking time bomb that I was clueless about. I had a used good OEM spare so I installed it. Next day I decided to take it for a ride and I was like man did they re-surface the road or something it's so smooth and quiet! I was like no way that shaft was the issue.... I drove it up to San Antonio, and Austin and it was extremely smooth, and I never had the what felt like a misfire ever again. Lesson learned if your D2 feels like it's misfiring but throwing no faults check your front driveshaft to make sure it isn't about to go off like a bomb on you.

Last edited by Best4x4; 06-20-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:31 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the heads up on the drive shafts and u joints. I'll have to check them this wknd. Of course it's driving like a champ tonight, go figure. Re: wires, I'll have to double check w my mechanic and see which brand he used, and where he got the coil packs from. Yeah, this time I'm still not getting any codes, which it did last time the coil crapped out.