Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another front driveshaft broken...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another front driveshaft broken...

Hello everyone, today my 1999 Discovery II front driveshaft broke...along with the assorted mess that comes along with that. The truck is immobile, however, I noted in an earlier post that DiscoMike described a way to get the truck rolling again with a "CDL" something or another. Could anyone explain this in "laymaneese" for me? Also, the driveshaft knocked a nice hole in the transmission about 1" x 1.5"...there has to be a way to repair this...why not weld that thing shut (after inspecting it)?

P.S. I promise I won't try to drive it with the hole...

Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Another front driveshaft broken...

I want to tell you soooooo bad, but just can't bring myself to. If you knocked a hole in the tranny, you need to pull it and have it inspected before trying to move it...

Old 11-26-2007, 10:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Shannon,

I'm sorry this happened to your Discovery. CDL stands for Center Differential Lock which, when engaged, would allow the truck to be propelled by the rear wheels only. However, with the hole in the transmission, there isn't much point in fiddling with it because you can't drive it anyway.

In most cases when the driveshaft knocks a hole in the transmission, you'll need to replace it. Welding the case might be possible, but it cannot be done in place, so either way, the transmission is coming out. At that point, a replacement or overhauled unit may be the best option for long life.

When you replace the driveshaft, make sure you put one in with greasable U-joints and keep them greased.

Here's a guy on craigslist in Denver parting out 4 Discoverys, some with good transmissions.

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/481720157.html

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave

Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Flame me if you want but I just usedJB welded and quick steelfor hole in my transmission. It leaked slightly around the transmission pangasket and I just put some RTV on it and the gasket and everything is going great so far saved me a ton ofmoney and time and what do I have to lose a transmission?

Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[sm=badbadbad.gif]Sounds good to me, just don't travel too far from home.... Keep us updated on how long it holds.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Even if you try and do a repair on the tranny case, you may still have damage inside, depending on where the hole is.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

X2. YOu need to find where every bit of metal went. If it went inside, get it out. If you feel comfortable driving something that may quit at any time, that's your deal, and I wish you the best of luck, but I can't bring myself to help someone do that...

Old 11-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Three Wheeling

Yea I'm not planning on going to far from home but I figured hell with a land rover its gonna quit anytime anyhow so why not try it. But it was just the casing no internals of the tranny where close to it and all the metal was in the pan when I took it out.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:08 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: 95DiscoSE7bullitt

Flame me if you want but I just usedJB welded and quick steelfor hole in my transmission. It leaked slightly around the transmission pangasket and I just put some RTV on it and the gasket and everything is going great so far saved me a ton ofmoney and time and what do I have to lose a transmission?
JB Weld is not a bad epoxy and may hold for a while, depending on the location.

For an around town grocery getter, why not? However, if I'm going to drive the Alcan in December,or just leave my wife at home for a couple of weeks while I'm out of the country, I'd sooner fix it right than worry about when it's going to let go.

Dave

Old 11-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why's everyones front driveshaft exploding? Ya'll not changin your u-joints?

Quick Reply: Another front driveshaft broken...