Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another front driveshaft broken...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Another front driveshaft broken...

Yeah, this has got me freaked out. With as many posts as there are on here about changing and greaing your u-joints, I would not expect all of these to be messed up..

Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '96 Disco I has 3 grease nipples on the front driveshaft, one on each u-joint and one other - for slip joint I guess. I have had it for6 years or so. Did they not come like that ? If not, then I guess the PO must have had the work done.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

D1's didn't have this problem, only the D2's.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Mudding

Hi all: Just an update. Decided that in order for my wife to actually be willing to drive the truck (she continues to refuse to drive my 1994 Discovery) I should replace the transmission. Found a transmission used with 46k miles on it...that should be installedtoday. I plan on using the truck with the CDL engaged for now until I can get my hands on a driveshaft. After talking to DiscoMike I am willing to use a used driveshaft (initially, after seeing the damage that could be done when one fails...I was hesitant). Lowest price on the driveshaft is $200 so far. I think I should be able to do better than that...if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Anyways...I should be able to get the Rover driving again soon for around $1,500.

LESSONS LEARNED:
In review, I have found:
- ALWAYS monitor the condition of your u-joints, grease etc.
- Great time to replace oil pan gasket is when the transmission is down
- Land Rover Forums are indispensible and the folks on here are wonderful

Thanks to all of the folks who have responded and helped out with this!

Shannon

Old 11-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Three Wheeling

hey disco mike,
When you say D1s didn't have "this" problem, what exactly are you referring to? I've got a 94 disco and it has nipples, do D2s not have them, or are my shafts new? Also, I tried putting in grease but the grease gun busted under the pressure. Does this mean the nipples need to be cleaned or whatever?

Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

D2's do not have grease zerks (nipples), if you cannot get grease into the zerk, unscrew it and replace in with a new one asap. You can find them at any parts store or tactor supply type store. If you have a zerk at each ujoint, that is what you need

Old 11-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: jkid

D2's do not have grease zerks (nipples), if you cannot get grease into the zerk, unscrew it and replace in with a new one asap. You can find them at any parts store or tactor supply type store. If you have a zerk at each ujoint, that is what you need
Your post is confusing. D2's don't have grease fitting in there double cardon so how is unscrewing them and replacing them going to help, the u-joints have to be replaced.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

He was just answering the post above him.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Mudding

Guys, still running with the CDL engaged. Out-processing my military assignment hasn't given me time to resolve the front driveshaft issue.

I have been getting a mild vibration while driving but attributed it to the fact that I am running only rear wheel drive...today the vibration got a bit more noticeable. It happens at about 50mph...doesn't seem to happen all the time...but a good 50% of the time. It feels like it is coming from the front end and is more noticeable when I have the accelerator depressed vs. coasting/idling.

Any thoughts? I HAVE to drive this thing to MD this weekend (6 hours). Lets hope it holds together til I get there.

Refresher: this is a 1999 D2 w/143k miles. Front driveshaft disintegrated a couple of weeks ago punching a hole in the transmission. Transmission replaced. CDL engaged currently.

Thanks!
Shannon

Old 12-11-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Don't drive it unless you can verify that your rear rotoflex that hooks to the rear drive sgaft is good. At you mileage, if it hasn't been changed, it is probably shot and won't make the trip.

Quick Reply: Another front driveshaft broken...