Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another mystery in the magical land of Rovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012 | 09:13 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Another mystery in the magical land of Rovers

So i've been slowly tracking down my rough start issues, but with starting a new job among other things it hasnt been getting anywhere. As a refresher I've been having issues where starting would be rough and would have no power for the first 30s or so. Pressing the gas even a tiny amount would cause rpms to drop and it to occasionally stall. If I got it to rev and let off the gas the rpms would drop again and it would roughly climb back into range. At low speeds driving was ok though there was no power. A prius would probably have an easier time towing a house up a hill than I do just getting the disco up one.

Now to today, I had my usual start but it seemed a little different than normal, got about half way to work (a whole 2 miles) and lost power steering and battery light came on. Immediately knew my serp belt went. Pulled in to a parking lot and walked the rest of the way to work. The funny thing is, after the belt went, the truck seemed to respond better and drive fine (minus the missing accessories and threat to overheating). Would there be one of the components (ace, ps, etc) that could have been causing my engine issues all this time?

Old 10-02-2012 | 09:23 AM
Baja

"Would there be one of the components (ace, ps, etc) that could have been causing my engine issues all this time?"
doughtful unless one of then was seizing up and that is why it finally threw the belt.

did you have your charging system checked or codes checked while you had this problem?

Old 10-02-2012 | 09:48 AM
|
Rock Crawling

I had my charging system checked a few months ago and while running was doing very well (cant remember voltage exactly but it was fine), i've had the same codes for a while but none seem to be related to a component that would cause the shredding of a serp belt. My truck is a bit far away to grab the codes from my ultra gauge right now (and i'm sure more are there due to the lost belt) but I'll get them tonight.

edit: I may have my system checked again since it does seem likely. I have had sporadic 3 amigos, turn the truck off and on again and they go away. They pop on maybe twice a month randomly.

Last edited by br0keit; 10-02-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-02-2012 | 02:47 PM
TReK

IF your serpentine belt is off - spin each pulley and each mechanical device.
You have one binding up.

The power steering pump is by nature hard to turn.

Locate a bad pulley which is stiff.
Or the alternator.
Or the waterpump.

Old 10-02-2012 | 02:47 PM
TReK

Your fuel pump may also be going.
What is the miles on the truck?

Old 10-02-2012 | 03:28 PM
|
Rock Crawling

The fuel pump better not be going, it is brand new. Has 110k on it put it in less than 500 miles ago. Pressure is at optimal spec according to rave and my parts store pressure gauge. I figured theres something binding up, I was thinking it might be my ace pump since the light comes on sometimes. During real cold starts it runs rougher and the ace light comes on immediately. After warmer starts or if it has sat in the sun for an afternoon the ace light doesnt come on and it isnt as rough. Still takes about the same amount of time no matter the temp to get "running" though. At no point does it run like it should.

Edit: oh and the belt is definitely off...popped the hood before my hike the rest of the way to work and there are nice shreds of it all over and the distinct smell of rubber. I suppose the pulley with the most rubber rash on it will most likely be the culprit.

Old 10-02-2012 | 06:39 PM
TReK

Maybe you can buy the belt for the
non-ace truck - put that on and try it for a time.

I don't think you really need ACE for a while.
You can debug without ACE running.

Except for the Ace light