Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another What is this part?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another What is this part?

I have another part I have never seen on a vehicle. What is this? It is like a button mounted on firewall, passenger side, to the right of SAI pump. What is the purpose of this?

Attached Thumbnails Another What is this part?-image.jpg  
Old 06-13-2015, 07:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Ah yes. If I remember right it has to do with restarting the motor. I think it is related to a security feature as well.

Don't press it unless you are instructed to by Rave or you just did an overhaul and you're trouble shooting to get the truck running again.

I know that is extremely vague but it's been a while since I've read the exact purpose of it. I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Jesus H.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Frank4
Jesus H.
In ref to???

Old 06-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Inertia switch. It cuts the fuel pump off in an accident. Most vehicles will have something similar somewhere.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Three Wheeling

What would be the possible issue that could result from pressing it?

Old 06-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Usually a big explosion....

Nah. Kidding.

If you have a crash, turn upside down, enter a perfect vacuum, this switch activates and shuts off the fuel. Saves lives or sumink.

I used to think it also stopped the spark, sparking, but now don't believe it does, I think it just shuts fuel off.

If your car won't start. Press it. Usually doesn't help, but if it was that and you didn't press it, well......

Old 06-14-2015, 12:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Cool thanks. I find it crazy, but I'm in my 40's and have owned a bunch of vehicles and do most of any oil/fluid changing and part replacing and have never heard of an Inertia switch.
I've never really had any serious issues with my vehicles though. 3 Jeeps, a Honda, 1 Ford POS truck, 5 Toyotas, and now this Land Rover. I don't hop them up motor wise though, so it isn't like I'm into working on them.

Still waiting on the explanation of the "Jesus H" remark? I guess we all can't be know it all's.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

Ah yes... That little bugger was the cause of my truck acting crazy when I first got it. And the reason I got such a good deal on it. The wires going to it were severely burnt inside the connector. WHen it would warm up (because of the poor contact) the fuel pump would stop working until it got cooler.Took me the better part of 3 weeks to figure it out. I would drive about 4 miles and shut off the truck, it wouldn't start for about an hour. The exact distance to Menards... I usually ended up putting a strap on it and towing it home, only to have it start right up once I got home. I ended up cutting the wires and bypassing the switch.

It is in fact an inertia switch. if the truck flips over, it will shut off power to the fuel pump until the truck is upright and the button on top of the switch is depressed. Pressing the switch won't hurt anything, just resets the switch.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

It is indeed an inertia switch, but you don't have to turn over for it to work. It's purpose is to shut off the fuel in any heavy crash thus ensuring that the engine is shut down and the car can't career out of control under its own power. It also ensures that should there be any possibility of fuel leakage as a result of a crash the risk of a fire is reduced. It should never be bypassed and should it be faulty a new one should be fitted.

pressing the button on top will do nothing unless it has tripped and needs reset.

Quick Reply: Another What is this part?