Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anti-Lock strangeness...... your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anti-Lock strangeness...... your thoughts

I've searched and read exhaustively about the symptoms and cure for the antilock brakes/fade/stutter at low speeds/turns and my Disco has exhibited them from time to time. I've not put 100 miles on it since I bought it three months ago, changing fluids, tightening this, detailing that, in preparation for presenting it to my daughter next Monday to celebrate her 16th birthday.

Curiously, I have never seen the antilock light illuminate in this truck. Not when I turn the key, not when I put it in drive and go up to 5 mph, not when I get the low speed shutter. I did however, have all of thr ABS fuses installed, and the system was trying to work...

My daughter has no idea she is getting this truck, and I in no way want her to experience the brake pedal pulsating wildly as it goes to the floor this early in her driving "career." I have pulled fuse #5 in the engine compartment. So, this truck should, for all practical purposes, no longer have an ABS.

I'm confused though... I had the truck inspected a month ago and it showed zero fault codes on the readout. I'm guessing the system does not flag an instrument panel ABS light out... My truck is going against the overwhelming trend of others on here, in that I have a "working" ABS with a blown idiot light. If not for the dangerous condition of the shuddering, ineffective pedal, I wouldn't have known if I had a problem.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by Discover' Carolina; 05-20-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Somebody pulled the bulb, its very easy to do, its like a 5 min job so if you want you can replace the bulb and that will be a reminder to your daughter that she does not have ABS.
The ABS ECU is different from the engine ECU and therefore no codes will show up on a OBDII scanner, ABS codes must be read using Rovers TestBook software or by a indie mechanic who has a T5? computer.
As long as you pulled the correct ABS fuse you are good to go.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Hey spike I have the same problem and how do u fix it rite or just pull the Abs fuse

Old 05-22-2009, 07:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Fixing the ABS system in these trucks properly is *usually* very expensive. Like Spike said to properly diagnose the problem you will probably have to take it to a dealer and have the ABS codes read. The solution I'll be doing: yank the ABS fuse under the hood and pull the bulb out of the dash so I never see that light again. I'm a safe enough driver that I'm confident in my ability to drive without ABS anyway.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be reluctant to put my teen driver in a vehicle that did not have functioning ABS. There are less expensive ways to fix this problem. Unfortunately, I let my dealer replace the ABS module before I found out what they were. My dealer sends me chocolate chip cookies every month... go figure.....

Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JumPeR04
Hey spike I have the same problem and how do u fix it rite or just pull the Abs fuse
Hazlet pretty much covered it.
This only applies to a DI and NOT a DII.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gilder
I would be reluctant to put my teen driver in a vehicle that did not have functioning ABS.
The problem is that D1 have ABS failure mode that will get you killed. Instead of failing in such a way that ABS doesn't work, it fails so your brakes don't work. D1's without ABS are much safer than with.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:57 PM
Mudding
Default abs

If that is indeed the case, that you cannot have safely functioning ABS on a D1, I would not give a D1 to my teen driver.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Drifting

??, Glider - your reply implies that you think it is unsafe to let teens (or anyone really) drive any vehicle without ABS. I have to chuckle... I wonder how we all survived before the 80's and early 90's when vehicles were becoming (mass) equipped with these systems.

I learned to drive in Germany, in the winter, in a 1968 Firebird.... LOTS of ice... no ABS... and I'm still here.

Proper training is more effective solution.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Mudding

My comment was directed at teen drivers, male or female - and I would add especially those that are just starting to drive. I simply wouldn't take the chance when more suitable (safer) vehicles are available. Quite frankly, even with functioning ABS I would not give a D1 or 2 to a new teen driver.

I'm glad you are still here and I'm not trying to pick a fight or denigrate your daughter's skills or your training regimen. I would simply point out that the bulk of American drivers have not had the benefit of your training. I put about 40k miles a year on a company car and drive all over the southeast. Many drivers on the road today simply have no business behind the wheel of a car. I benefitted from Police pursuit and evasion training when I was a teen working as a bank courier. That training did not prevent the moron on his cellphone from ramming me from behind at a red light last month, totalling out his car and doing $8k damage to my Avalon.

Quick Reply: Anti-Lock strangeness...... your thoughts