Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any folks using Genuine brake pads/rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 02:53 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Any folks using Genuine brake pads/rotors?

Still searching for the best braking componets for my loaded rig. In the past Ive tried those cheap Atlantic British complete rebuild kits, Ive also tried those cheap drilled/slotted rottors and ceramic pads rebuild kits on ebay. Still running the cheap drilled/slotted rotors but recently installed EBC Greenstuff pads... not impressed at all. Tons of brake dust and absolutly no noticeable improvement in braking. Never tried the genuine rebuild kit due to the retail price but at this point Im either gonna spend $$$$ on a genuine rebuild kit or spend $$$$ on premium rotors and akebono pads. Not convinced on drilled slotted rotors, or racing pads as they are most likely designed for use on fast cars and only effective at high speeds (D2's not particularly fast).

Background on my bracking system:
- brake booster servo is new
- brake master cylinder is new
- stainless steel brake lines are new
- calipers are new
- brake fluid is new

Old 10-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just installed atlanic british OEM bake kit. It came to roughly $390 for the rotors and pads. I gotta say t made a huge difference i was very pleased. Dont get cheap and buy the kit that is a hundred bucks less. Atlantic British claims they are genuine but they are not. i know because i installed them and realized the amount of brake dust! i ended up sending them back and going OEM. very pleased with the kit. i had some issues with the plungers that mount to the calipers on the install but other than that it only took an hour once i got the disco up in the air.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

I didn't want to go cheap on brakes due to safety. Here is the brake parts list that I installed on my 2001 Disco last weekend:
- Brake master cylinder replacement kit #SJJ100362 from Land Rover Parts and Accesories ($70)
- EBC GD Sport Drilled & Slotted Rear Rotors #GD957 from Sakarl Motorsports ($155) pair
- EBC GD Sport Drilled & Slotted Front Rotors #GD994 from Sakari Motorsports ($185) pair
- Akebono ceramic rear brake pads #ACT493 from Volksgene ($40.44) for 2 sets
- Akebono ceramic front brake pads #EUR676 from Aims Autoparts ($71.65) for 2 sets
- Braided Stainless Steel Brake Hose Kit for raised suspensions #ABP218L from Atlantic British LTD ($157.95)
- Stainless steel brake bleed ports #SB1010S-SS from Speed Bleeder ($65.95) 4 each
- Pentosin Super Dot 4 brake fluid #BFDOT4-L from Pep Boys ($11.19) x 3 liter cans

The brakes now grab waaaaaaay better than stock and there is hardly any brake dust.

Last edited by JUKE179r; 10-30-2016 at 06:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (11-01-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I have been very happy with Bosch QuietCast rotors and pads. Brake well although my truck is rarely heavily loaded.

Very quiet, good pedal feel, and dust very little.

On Amazon, front rotors run about 75 ea and rear about 50 ea. Pads are 40-45 for a set.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:14 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebc

I use the HD orange with slotted/drilled rotors and they have performed better than expected.
2012 LR4

Old 10-29-2016, 11:24 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Good feedback. Has anyone used both genuine pads/rotors and any of these aftermarket kits? And thus have an opinion of which set works better?

Old 10-30-2016, 07:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

No experience with OEM, but I am very happy with my "Bosch Blue" pads: very quiet, very little brake dust. Available locally at Auto-Value.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I like the slotted/cross drilled rotors as they run cooler vs a solid rotor. I used to eat up brakes on my P38 RR until I switched over to set of slotted/cross drilled rotors.

The LR OEM stuff is just what you'd call your "standard" set of brakes. Nothing really special about em except the LR Boxes. I'm not a cheap person and yes I am very careful what I put on my LR's (as my wife & children are in them). I started using the Ebay Seller Brake Motive's Power Stop Cross Drilled Rotor's & Ceramic Brake pads when I had a Jeep that could barely stop with 33inch tires. The quality was very good, thick brake dust was a thing of the past, and I no longer warped rotors on my Jeeps. I then used the same setup on my 08 H3 Alpha, then I got back into LR's and I've used them on at least 3 D2's, and now my wife's LR3.

The LR3 had brake dust so bad one ride down the driveway would make the front rims that lovely dark brown color. After properly breaking in the Power Stop stuff the thick brake dust is just a memory. (all brake pads leave brake dust, but ceramic leaves much much much less)

I'm all about spending $$$ for quality stuff, but I've had brakes from EBC, and Brembo and they worked just as well as the Brake Motive Power Stop stuff that is much less $$$.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:23 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Genuine is a special blend - usually softer. This will allow quiet braking.
Best to use Genuine pads and anti squeal springs. And genuine rotors.

Otherwise you will have squealing brakes under load and when the brakes are hot.

Had this problem on my D1 and D2. I never used OEM.

Shop did put on OEM - so they said on my D1. Squealing went down for a bit and came back.

I used to use semi-metallic pads and those had a horrible squeal on them. But lasted a long time.

Who needs a horn?
People would hold their hands to their ears at bus stops.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

My first LR was a 97 D1 and yeah driving slow thru say a shopping center was horrible with low speed squeaking from the brakes. Only LR I've ever owned that had squeaky brakes.

Quick Reply: Any folks using Genuine brake pads/rotors?