Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any recommendations for improving cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any recommendations for improving cold starting

Okay, so my 98 disco has been having one hell of a time starting in the cold this winter. For the three years I've had it, I would have to give it a couple tries on cold mornings (anywhere between 10 and 30 farenheit). Now, things are getting ridiculous. Some of these mornings I wonder if it is ever going to start. Tonight, I had to try about 6 or 7 times to get it to turn over.....it wasn't even THAT cold, it was 37 degrees outside. I

will add, I had my battery checked today and it checked out fine. Don't know if it matters, but I have been using regular unleaded. I recently learned that I need to be using premium so I plan on using that beginning my next fill-up. Does anyone know if higher octane fuel evaporates better than low octane? Also, I haven't had it serviced in a while. I have kept up with the oil changes myself, changed the air filter, and maintained all the fluids under the hood, but it has 112K on it and the last time it was taked to the dealer and fully serviced was around 90K. I plan on gettinga full servicedone ASAP as well.

That being said, is there anything else I can do to improve starting performance in cold weather?[/align]

Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Any recommendations for improving cold starting

So it wont turn over or it wont start?
Yes premium gas burns better than regular. You will get better MPG and eaisier starting, smoother idle and more power on the road. Not to mention the biggest benifint of all...not needeing a valve job because your valves are sticking from excessive carbon build up.
What motor oil are you using? Dino or full synthetic? When was the fuel filter last changed? How about a tune up, when did it last have plugs and wires?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Change your fuel filter first, if it hasn't been done in the last 30,000 miles, do plugs and wires, 8 mm Magnacor only, clean the throttle body and a induction cleaning. That will get you back to where you need to be, then because of all the cheap gas, do a ATF flush on the engine to clean her out a lot.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Spike555

So it wont turn over or it wont start?
Yes premium gas burns better than regular. You will get better MPG and eaisier starting, smoother idle and more power on the road. Not to mention the biggest benifint of all...not needeing a valve job because your valves are sticking from excessive carbon build up.
What motor oil are you using? Dino or full synthetic? When was the fuel filter last changed? How about a tune up, when did it last have plugs and wires?
The problem is that it will crank and crank an not start. Eventually, it will start up, but it has been taking a ridiculously long time lately. I use a non-synthetic 10W-30. I've owned the disco for three years now and have not changed the plugs and wires, nor have I changed the fuel filter.The previous owner gave it a tune up right before I purchased it.

Btw, you guys are great. I really don't knowmuch about vehicle repair or what maintenance I should be doing (aside from regular oil changes) to keep my disco running well. Any advice in that area would be appreciated as well. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Administrator

So, when are you going to start tuning your truck, before or after you burn up your starter?
You don't keep these trucks up they will come around and bite you.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling

I appreciate your help Mike and I can sense your frustration from the sarcasm in your post. That is the reason I am asking questions . . .so I can learn and NOT screw up my disco. I will be getting a tune up ASAP. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Team Owner

Get a tune up with no less than LAnd Rover plug wires, anything else will not last.
Magnecor wires are best.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Paul,
Save a bunch of money and let use walk you thru doing your own tune up, it will tuyrn out a lot better for way less money.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

Paul,
Save a bunch of money and let use walk you thru doing your own tune up, it will tuyrn out a lot better for way less money.
Are you serious??? That sounds great! Thank you so much.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Team Owner

Doing a tune up on a DI is easy as cake.
I can do mine in under a hour, thats plugs and wires.
If you are a novice it might take you two hours.

If you switch to full synthentic your truck will run better and you will get better MPG and you can extend your oil chnages to 5,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for improving cold starting