Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any recommendations for improving cold starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any recommendations for improving cold starting

Alright. A couple hours sounds much better than the day or two that I was expecting. Aside from picking up plugs and wires, anything else that I will need? Also, do you guys get the Magnecor wires from the dealer or can I pick them up from most auto parts store's?

Thanks for the heads up on the oil. I will probably switch over to full synthetic on my next oil change. Do you think I should go 5W-30 considering the cold and the trouble I have been having starting?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

DiscoMike knows of a good cheap place to get the Magnecors, www.atlanticbritish.com sells them but you can get them cheaper elsewhere.
Just Google them.
You can use any spark plug that you want, I recommend Iridium plugs, you can pick them up anywhere.
Denso or NGK are both good brands.
As for the oil, where do you live? Full syn will not get think like dino oil does.
10w-40 is a good all around weight.

When it comes to changing your plugs and wires, repalce the plugs first, one at a time making sure that you put the plug wires back onto each plug after you change it.
Then replace the plug wires one at a time matching the new wire with the same lenght old wire.
Pretty simple really. Just make sure that you pull the old wire off at the base, not by the wire its self.
You can do it, we have faith in you.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the advice. I looked on roverconnection.com and found them for $100.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There you go.
I assume that you have a 3/8" drive socket set with a spark plug socket.
Spray penatrant onto the threads of each plug before you try and remove them, they may be stuck pretty good.
I realize that you are not ready to do this yet. But at least you will have the info stewing in your head already.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't have it yet, it would be great for you to get the RAVE CD. Search the forum for it, you will find it for sure.
It will be an excellent tool for you to know your Rover and it will give you a hint on how to perform your tune-up. Cleaning your throttle body and your IAC would be a good idea too.

Simply to nag you a little, it was -20 F this week where I live and my Disco started every morining. The best thing to do when you start your Disco (or any car) at such a low temperature: turn any acessory off (heater blower, radio etc.) turn your ignition switch to ON position WITHOUT cranking the truck. Wait until your fuel pump stops to crank the truck. Keeping you car tuned ensures you it will start every time you put your key in the ignition. If everybody kept their car tuned up and up to date with maintenance, AAA wouldn't exist... hahahaha.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: paul1454

Thanks for the advice. I looked on roverconnection.com and found them for $100.
Here is my list for you.
PM me your tele number and lets talk before you get started. By the way, make sure you get the 8mm Magnacors, not the 7 mm's.
Mike
This is the parts list for a 60,000 mile service or a high mileage used truck, the way I do it. Also, if you are doing a service on a D1 or Classic, the coolant will be either the green or yellow type. The power steering on those vehicles requires ATF, not the recommend p/s fluid all the newer D2’s and RR take.
1 Oil filter, K&N 3001 or Mobil 1- 301
1 Factory air filter
6 Qts of engine oil
12 Qts of ATF
7 Qts of 80/90W synthetic gear oil, 85W/140 for HD use
3 Pints of synthetic DOT 4 Brake fluid
2 Qts of synthetic Power steering fluid
2 Gallons of OAT, orange coolant, also called DexCool
1 Bottle of Lucas Power Steering additive
1 Bottle of Lucas Transmission additive
1 Can of Spray Carb. Spray
1 Can Of Brake cleaner
8 Spark Plugs, I use Bosch Platinum Plus 4's
1 Set of Magnacor 8mm plug wires
1 Serpentine belt
2 Bottles of SeaFoam gas additive
1 T/Stat
1 bottle of WaterWetter or Purple Ice
Hoses and belts, as necessary

60,000 Mile Service or Major Service for High Mileage Used Vehicle just purchased

Bleed the brakes
Flush and change the power steering fluid adding one bottle of additive
Service the tranny adding one bottle of additive
Change the coolant and t/stat
Do an engine flush before changing the oil
Do an induction cleaning
Clean the throttle body
Add fuel additive to full gas tank
Change both of the diffs fluid
Change the t/case oil
Replace the plugs and wires
Replace the air filter
Lube all the drive shaft grease fitting including the 2 slip shafts

Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks a lot for the list Mike. I saw your post onanother forum that I had posted the same question. I went ahead and purchased everything this morning. If the plug wires come in this week, I will go ahead and try to knock it out this weekend. If I run into any problems, I will be sure and let you guys know. Let's hope I don't. I used to work on F-18s for god's sake, I should at least be able to service my disco!!!

Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's help.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I understand you worked on F-18's, but they were not made in the UK!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Jull

Simply to nag you a little, it was -20 F this week where I live and my Disco started every morining.
Haha, thanks for that. I guess that gives me something to look forward to. I'm just glad you guys are here and willing to help people like me out. For the longest time, I didn't think growing up without a father had much affect on my life . . . guess I am now seeing where a little fatherly guidance would have come in handy!

Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Three Wheeling

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

I understand you worked on F-18's, but they were not made in the UK!!!
Haha, point taken.

Just to give a quick update on the starting issue: For the past few starts, I have taken some advice I have read on these forums and put it to work. Rather than immediately starting the rover when I get in it, I have been turning the key to the II position and allowing the fuel pump to fully pressurize and shut off before attempting to start the truck. So far, this has really improved my starting problem. Yesterday was around 20 and it started on the third try. This morning was a little cooler. My truck was covered in snow. I went out, let the fuel pump do its job and to my amazement,it started up on the first try! Hope this keeps up.

This week, I plan on going through the rave manual to make sure I know how to perform all the steps in the service that I am doing this weekend. Will probably have some questions later just to clarify things.

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for improving cold starting