Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever change the driver's side door handle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone ever change the driver's side door handle?

My lock cylinder is just like that Dead or Alive song from the 80s. It just keeps spinning right 'round.

I just had a mechanic tear the door apart and he found that the 4" linkage that connects the cylinder to the locking mechanism had sheared.

It seems that this linkage can only be ordered as part of a new door handle assembly. It's a dealer only item that's keyed to your VIN and costs about $250 plus the wait time.

I want to know:

1. Is it possible to just replace that linkage? Can I remove my existing door handle and just replace that one part?

2. If so, does anyone have an extra D2 driver's door handle?

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, it can be changed. Do a search from about Aug. of 2009. I had the same problem on our 2001. I was able to find the nail with a cross on the end at a salvage yard. Swapped it into my door handle and it has worked great ever since. Somebody fabricated the piece using a nail. Again, do a search. If you are near San Diego there are a number of wrecks down in the Otay Mesa area near the border. That is where I found mine. I looked at a dozen or so and only found one that worked. You can probably take the part to the hardware store and match it up with a 16 penny galvanized nail, use a dremel tool to shape it and save your self $249. I think that the local dealer here quoted me $160, but it was a three week wait. Gook luck. Phil

1999 DI
2000 DII
2001 DII

Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy FOB key will work to open the door and deactivate the alarm?

I got this one too:
An smart guy tried to pry open the driver door in my Disco (the only key lock in all four doors) and break the pin that goes to the actuator. I was able to enter into the car, because the "thieve-wanna-be" leave the car open. Then, the alarm trigger the safety on the engine an voila!, my Disco will no start. I went to the dealer and they ordered a new lock and handle at England, most came programed according to the vehicle ID, in order to work. Is going to take between 4 to 6 weeks, in the meantime "no car". LOL! My question is: I don't have an original FOB key, if I go to the dealer and order one for this vehicle (must be programed too), do I'll be able to deactivate the securiy alarm and start the vehicle? These guys from the Land Rover weren't capable to answer that question, they told that I have to try. Any thoughts? If this is possible I'll go for it, otherwise I'll wait for the allready ordered part. Please!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by biastv
I got this one too:
An smart guy tried to pry open the driver door in my Disco (the only key lock in all four doors) and break the pin that goes to the actuator. I was able to enter into the car, because the "thieve-wanna-be" leave the car open. Then, the alarm trigger the safety on the engine an voila!, my Disco will no start. I went to the dealer and they ordered a new lock and handle at England, most came programed according to the vehicle ID, in order to work. Is going to take between 4 to 6 weeks, in the meantime "no car". LOL! My question is: I don't have an original FOB key, if I go to the dealer and order one for this vehicle (must be programed too), do I'll be able to deactivate the securiy alarm and start the vehicle? These guys from the Land Rover weren't capable to answer that question, they told that I have to try. Any thoughts? If this is possible I'll go for it, otherwise I'll wait for the allready ordered part. Please!

Wait...the dealer is THAT DUMB?! Okay....take your door handle off, then stick a screw-driver in where the pin goes and crank it to the left. Viola, your vehicle will disarm itself. I had the same problem.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bama', thanks for your help, I ordered the door handled and the FOB key, in the meantime I'll try to follow your indicated procedure to override the alarm. I was checking the door handled, I don't any idea how to remove it. Can you help me with that one too? Thanks!