Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone get any lifter tap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone get any lifter tap?

i have a tick in my disco II. it has 49k miles on it. it sounds like lifter tap. just wondering if anyone else has this. I run full synthetic oil. It's always had it (since i bought it). Just seeing if i'm alone.

Old 06-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: anyone get any lifter tap?

Could be one of two things, both of which are common on D2's. By the way, how often do you change your oil?
Could be an exhaust leak caused by a broken exhaust stud or cracked exhaust manifold. It could also be a gummed up lifter, hard to imagine since you use synthetic, but what the hell. Is it there all the time, just when cold or hot or under load???
Mike

Old 06-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Overlanding

this sounds like the tap my '99 has. The dealer says "they all do that... just use the thickest synthetic you can find." I added 15w50 Mobil 1 and it still does it. I havent done anything else to dagnose or cure, but the truck is running strong.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Administrator

It is not normal, you just got an answer from someone that Rover should fire.
Rover engines do tend to build up alot of carbon and sludge that can be flushed out by using a good engine flush before your next 2 oil changes.
How often do you change your oil, what do you normally use and what type of oil filter.
Mike

Old 06-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Overlanding

I just got my Disco with 91,000 miles on it; it tapped when I took delivery in the south Denver area. I drove it home to Salt Lake and straight to the dealership to have the 150 (?) point inspection done (this is when he mentioned it). From there, I went to a Land Rover Indy shop in Salt Lake (recommended by a couple of friends) to flush all the fluids and replace with all synthetic.

To be honest, I think for $350.00 I cant believe he changed ALL the fluids, but he swears he did.

It has been tapping since day one for me (a little over a month). It now has about 93,500 miles.

I typically change all my car's oil at 5,000 mile intervals and use nothing but synthetic. I am likely going to go more often on the Rover because it will be worked harder. I use 5w30 Mobil 1 in my Passat and A4, but used 15W50 Mobil 1 in the Disco as he said use "the thickest you can get."

Old 06-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: HorizonDesire

I just got my Disco with 91,000 miles on it; it tapped when I took delivery in the south Denver area. I drove it home to Salt Lake and straight to the dealership to have the 150 (?) point inspection done (this is when he mentioned it). From there, I went to a Land Rover Indy shop in Salt Lake (recommended by a couple of friends) to flush all the fluids and replace with all synthetic.

To be honest, I think for $350.00 I cant believe he changed ALL the fluids, but he swears he did.

It has been tapping since day one for me (a little over a month). It now has about 93,500 miles.

I typically change all my car's oil at 5,000 mile intervals and use nothing but synthetic. I am likely going to go more often on the Rover because it will be worked harder. I use 5w30 Mobil 1 in my Passat and A4, but used 15W50 Mobil 1 in the Disco as he said use "the thickest you can get."
I remember when you bought your truck, I saw your post. I just moved to Denver from California 2 weeks ago.
When do you hear the noise, when it is cold or hot, all the time, do you get a low oil pressure warning light at idle?
If you are lucky, you may still be able to get rid of your noise. Kind of all depends on how long the engine has been gummed up, this will cause oiling problems and the lifters and the rockers can pay the price.
If it were mine, and I own a 99 like yours, I would go buy 6 qts. of ATF, drain the oil and put in the ATF, to be used as an engine flush. Let it idle for 10 minutes and drain. Reinstall your new oil and a good filter like a K&N 3001 and see what happens. One of two things will happen, it will stay the same or it will sound better, if better, I would then consider pulling the oil pan, doing a good inspection, check the oil pick up tube making sure it is clean and cleaning out the who;e underpart of the engine and pan.
Rovers are known to build up alot of sludge and carbon so stay on top of your oil changes, keep using the heavier oil, I would suggest Castrol 20/50W regular or blend and change it every 3000 miles.
I have 80,000 miles on mine, I do a light engine flush everyother oil change and you can eat out of my engine it is so clean.
Let me know what you think.
Mike

Old 06-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike
...When do you hear the noise, when it is cold or hot, all the time, do you get a low oil pressure warning light at idle?
If you are lucky, you may still be able to get rid of your noise. Kind of all depends on how long the engine has been gummed up, this will cause oiling problems and the lifters and the rockers can pay the price.
If it were mine, and I own a 99 like yours, I would go buy 6 qts. of ATF, drain the oil and put in the ATF, to be used as an engine flush. Let it idle for 10 minutes and drain. Reinstall your new oil and a good filter like a K&N 3001 and see what happens. One of two things will happen, it will stay the same or it will sound better, if better, I would then consider pulling the oil pan, doing a good inspection, check the oil pick up tube making sure it is clean and cleaning out the who;e underpart of the engine and pan.
Rovers are known to build up alot of sludge and carbon so stay on top of your oil changes, keep using the heavier oil, I would suggest Castrol 20/50W regular or blend and change it every 3000 miles.
I have 80,000 miles on mine, I do a light engine flush everyother oil change and you can eat out of my engine it is so clean.
Mike
the noise is pretty much constant; I will be going on a group drive this saturday and will ask if anyone else notices; maybe I am just picky, but I hear it.

Do you not use synthetic oil? I would think it would help keep the sludge down as it doesnt burn off to sludge; it burns off to a fine dust and gets caught in the filter. Can I get synthetic ATF? Isnt ATF just VERY heavy motor oil? Can I get this result changing every 1000 miles for a few thousand? Is it basically "washing" the inside? Is the tapping from the sludge buildup?

I didnt think I had this many questions

What I think is a few bucks and a couple hours labor can save my engine, so I will give it a shot.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: HorizonDesire

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike
...When do you hear the noise, when it is cold or hot, all the time, do you get a low oil pressure warning light at idle?
Mike
the noise is pretty much constant; I will be going on a group drive this saturday and will ask if anyone else notices; maybe I am just picky, but I hear it.

Do you not use synthetic oil? I would think it would help keep the sludge down as it doesnt burn off to sludge; it burns off to a fine dust and gets caught in the filter. Can I get synthetic ATF? Isnt ATF just VERY heavy motor oil? Can I get this result changing every 1000 miles for a few thousand? Is it basically "washing" the inside? Is the tapping from the sludge buildup?

I didnt think I had this many questions

What I think is a few bucks and a couple hours labor can save my engine, so I will give it a shot.

That is a good idea, see what others hear and get some more feed back.
You don't need synthetic ATF to do a major flush, it is only in the engine ideling for 10 minutes or so. Yes, for the books, Dextron 3 is a synthetic.
I use Castrol 20/50W Blend wjich is a partial synthetic.
As for flushing using a straight synthetic, no, not at you mileage. Now you could do a minor flush using some of the over the counter engine flushes every oil change for the next 2 or 3 oil changes then go to everyother one like I do. What ever blows up your skirt as they say.
Take care and have a good run this weekend.
Mike

Old 06-27-2006, 10:27 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://Mobiloil.Com/USA-English/Moto..._Vehicles.aspx

I have used regular oil in my last truck that I bought new in 1988, at 150,000 I started to use synthetic oil with no
problems. Once a year I had to adjust the valves (solid lifters) so I saw that oil change time and miles made
the biggest difference in a motor and if it was going to leak oil.

ATF has the viscosity of a 5-weight motor oil that is why it cleans, it can get in to the places that most oil can't.

In my LR I use Mobil One 5w40 or 5w30 for winter and summer I use either the Mobil One Extended Performance
10w40 or Mobil High Mileage 10w40 due to the heat in Texas I have about 100,000 miles.
Yes I have a few small leaks due to the gaskets not the oil. (Leaks its a LR thing)

Old 06-28-2006, 12:13 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Landzu

http://Mobiloil.Com/USA-English/Moto..._Vehicles.aspx

I have used regular oil in my last truck that I bought new in 1988, at 150,000 I started to use synthetic oil with no
problems. Once a year I had to adjust the valves (solid lifters) so I saw that oil change time and miles made
the biggest difference in a motor and if it was going to leak oil.

ATF has the viscosity of a 5-weight motor oil that is why it cleans, it can get in to the places that most oil can't.

In my LR I use Mobil One 5w40 or 5w30 for winter and summer I use either the Mobil One Extended Performance
10w40 or Mobil High Mileage 10w40 due to the heat in Texas I have about 100,000 miles.
Yes I have a few small leaks due to the gaskets not the oil. (Leaks its a LR thing)

There is also a part on the Mobil Web site about (Switching from Conventional Motor Oil to Mobil 1).

Quick Reply: anyone get any lifter tap?