Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone going to pick up the Mantec raised air intake? Lucky8 maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 159 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Anyone going to pick up the Mantec raised air intake? Lucky8 maybe?

It couldn’t take much to churn out a Mantec clone raised air intake. I am not talking about a homemade PVC joined rattle can monstrosity. I am talking about a real kit with hardware and templates. The few Mantec and Bearmach units are almost $800.

If Jason or Eric at Lucky8 happen to read this, can y’all tell us if you guys have explored this idea or at least had a conversation about it?

Thanks,

Frank

Old 05-30-2018, 02:24 PM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Also interested to know.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I'm extremely happy with my knock off ARB snorkel that I paid maybe 145.00 for total including shipping.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:26 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Word around is Terrafirma is making one.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Snorkel

Originally Posted by Frank4
It couldn’t take much to churn out a Mantec clone raised air intake. I am not talking about a homemade PVC joined rattle can monstrosity. I am talking about a real kit with hardware and templates. The few Mantec and Bearmach units are almost $800.
Frank
After launching the idea of a group buy a few months ago and getting only 1 (one) response and having my post moved to another location I decided last week to go ahead and get a "sample" for myself. It arrived yesterday. No instructions included but I knew that already. I am not going to repeat what it would cost in a group buy cause many of you would faint but I can reveal that ((cost plus shipping) x2 = wholesale) x 2 = retail and I paid $98 - yes that includes EVERYTHING
I will post pictures this week

Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I'm extremely happy with my knock off ARB snorkel that I paid maybe 145.00 for total including shipping.
Right, the knockoff ARB’s are everywhere. I am sure it s great just prefer the look of the Mantec.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank4
Right, the knockoff ARB’s are everywhere. I am sure it s great just prefer the look of the Mantec.
Agreed, having the tube inside the quarter panel is soooo much sleeker and less tacky looking. Glad I got a mantec for $300 before they went out of business

The window guards and upper shelf are also great products... terrafirma should pick up their product line or something

Old 05-30-2018, 05:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by uvodee
After launching the idea of a group buy a few months ago and getting only 1 (one) response and having my post moved to another location I decided last week to go ahead and get a "sample" for myself. It arrived yesterday. No instructions included but I knew that already. I am not going to repeat what it would cost in a group buy cause many of you would faint but I can reveal that ((cost plus shipping) x2 = wholesale) x 2 = retail and I paid $98 - yes that includes EVERYTHING
I will post pictures this week
You paid $98 and it’s a one off sample? If I am reading your post correctly I am in.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

All ARB snorkels are external no matter what the make vehicle. The D2 unit is nice looking vs the horrific lunchbox looking LR3/LR4 unit omg.... Yes the Mantec unit is sleek, but no way I’d pay that much for some metal tubing (I’ve bought running & driving D2’s for that!!!!).

I honestly think my local badass muffler guy could easily weld up some exhaust pipe and bend it indentical to the Mantec Unit for 100.00 if that. All I’d have to do is go there with my fender removed, and have him follow the inner core up to the windshield frame. Just a few bends and tacks and then primer & paint it. Then buy the snorkel top and attach it.

I just prefer a plastic one that won’t chip or rust. I’ve seen a PVC Mantec copy and it was done very well. Only way you knew it was PVC was by the tiny rock chips in the paint over it.

My D2 with the snorkel is black so the black plastic unit doesn’t stand out. Yes it “could” get ripped off during a crazy off road boo boo, but it’s actually more flexible than you might think. I had to trim a small amount off the inner lip that mounts inside the fender and when cutting it all it wanted to do was flex. It was not rock solid so it should give some before it splits open.