Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have black wheels on a discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
since my nice and shiny wheels are now mostly scratched and messed up from off roading i was thinking of painting them kind of a dark gun metal grey color.
I've been thinking of picking up a stock set of 16" wheels for a Disco2 and having them powder-coated in a matte black. It'd probably complement my silver truck nicely, and would go very well with an ARB bumper...

Old 03-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
Ummm.... actually, no, it wasn't an Explorer... definitely an Expedition.
Man oh man I am just batting 1000 today.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Team Owner
Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is my question on the subject of the OP, why do you want mud tires for on-road? Have you ever driven mud tires on the road? The noise alone is horrible and then add in a rougher ride and worse fuel mileage. All the negatives to mud tires on road don't add up, regardless of rim size. Which bring me to another point, you're taking your already rough riding mud tires and putting them on a large wheel that reduces your sidewall height and makes them ride rougher. I like the looks of the wheel you posted but would highly recommend an all-terrain tire instead of mudders. I ran 33x12.5 BFG mud terrains on an 85 GMC pickup with the diesel and could hear the tires over the engine going down the road.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Here is my question on the subject of the OP, why do you want mud tires for on-road? Have you ever driven mud tires on the road? The noise alone is horrible and then add in a rougher ride and worse fuel mileage. All the negatives to mud tires on road don't add up, regardless of rim size. Which bring me to another point, you're taking your already rough riding mud tires and putting them on a large wheel that reduces your sidewall height and makes them ride rougher. I like the looks of the wheel you posted but would highly recommend an all-terrain tire instead of mudders. I ran 33x12.5 BFG mud terrains on an 85 GMC pickup with the diesel and could hear the tires over the engine going down the road.
I've read up on a lot of tires and have found several that ride pretty smoothly and don't make much noise. The Toyos are at the top of those tires. Everything I read on them is great but they are very expensive. I've said in many threads that this discovery is not my daily driver so a little noise is not a problem. I was driving a newer Sierra 2500 all weekend with 37" m/t tires and 22" rims and off the top of my head I can't think of the tire name but they rode great (braking was worse than stock though) and weren't as loud as the engine/exhaust. The Toyos are around $400 per tire but in the end I think they may be the best choice.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:46 PM
KBW
Mudding

I was on the Interco SS M-16 37/13.5/22. Great tires. I would look at those but I want 33" and they don't make them on 20's

Old 03-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Man oh man I am just batting 1000 today.
No worries! We all have those days...

I like www.discounttiredirect.com, and their tires are all FREE SHIPPING! Well, I suppose it's not really free but rather they build shipping into the tire price, whatever. I have bought from discounttiredirect.com and was very pleased.

I've got the infamous Wranglers on my Disco, and they're starting to cup so I'll be replacing tires soon. I'd like to go up a size, to 265/60/18, but I didn't see much offered there in that size.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Team Owner

I just went to your site...found a tire that I have been interested in, the reviews were good on that tire, so we will see.
It was $420 shipped for the Hankook Dynapro ATM, $20 per for mounting and balancing...might be cheaper to buy at my local Discount Tire, I will have to call and see.
Great site though, adding it to my bookmarks.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:59 PM
KBW
Mudding

thanks for the sites Spike and Disco_Fever

Old 03-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to put my 2 cents in here, I have had horrible luck with Toyo tires. They are great for the first 15K to 20K, but then they wear unevenly. If you add 20's to a D2 that likes to cup on the inside anyway, I am not sure how they will hold up. I even had them wear funny on the back of a 1 ton dually.

Haven't ran them on a disco yet, and everything runs differently on different vehicles, but I do know that my Cooper Discoverer ATR's had tread left when I changed them at 50K.

Quick Reply: anyone have black wheels on a discovery?