Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

arb bumper advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you NEED an ARB bumper if you have an ARB bumper.
i installed mine yesterday and i noticed i need longer stopping distance. so a steel bumper will do its job if i end up rear ending someone.
will check the brakes soon.

i did end up with few extra bolts and nuts. i think the attachment to the frame is correct.
one suggestion i would have for ARB thou..... SEPARATE the hardware into little bags with a tag or parts number so its easier to know what goes where. they come all mixed up in a big plastic bag.

had a couple of questions thou...
how did you install the turn signal lights? did you attach the wires into the headlight wires? that doesnt look that easy.

my truck is an S and it did not have the fog lights. although all the wiring is there.
today i got a set of fog lights and also replaced the on dash switch for the front fog lights. but they dont work.....

any ideas how to get both the turning lights and fog lights work?

thank you

Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xhevi
you NEED an ARB bumper if you have an ARB bumper.
i installed mine yesterday and i noticed i need longer stopping distance. so a steel bumper will do its job if i end up rear ending someone.
will check the brakes soon.

i did end up with few extra bolts and nuts. i think the attachment to the frame is correct.
one suggestion i would have for ARB thou..... SEPARATE the hardware into little bags with a tag or parts number so its easier to know what goes where. they come all mixed up in a big plastic bag.

had a couple of questions thou...
how did you install the turn signal lights? did you attach the wires into the headlight wires? that doesnt look that easy.

my truck is an S and it did not have the fog lights. although all the wiring is there.
today i got a set of fog lights and also replaced the on dash switch for the front fog lights. but they dont work.....

any ideas how to get both the turning lights and fog lights work?

thank you
The bolts you have left are probably quite long yes ? if so LOTS of people forget to install the 2 vertical bolts that require the chassis to be drilled to "Lock" the bumper into place,

This is why you read and hear people say ARB's are not that good and "move" on their mounts, well if you dont mount them properly in the first place its not surprising is it ?

As far as the turn signals, just "splice" them into the existing indicator wires, takes 5 mins a side to do.

if your car came without fogs from new, then for them to work they require them being enabled in the BCU (body control unit), need rovercom, Nanocom, Hawkeye or Testbook (dealer) to do that.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
The ARB is not that heavy and all though it looks great it is a poorly designed bumper when you look at it's mounts which are pretty weak.
If you are looking for looks, it's OK and you can probably let the lift go for awhile, especially consider where you live, I doubt you'll come across many trails that will cause you damage.
Well, have to disagree on this one tbh, think its VERY well made, and cannot see an issue with the mounts, 99% of complaints ref the ARB's is they move when winching, well thats 99% of the time due to what I mentioned above, people dont bother installing / drilling the bolts that lock it to the frame, hardly surprising it moves.

I talk to lots of guys in AUS, and most of em use the ARB's with no issues tbh, and even those that hit roo's at speed report no damage to the bumpers etc.

There is bumpers that offer better approach angles etc, but all of em are pretty dam fugly, "imo" the ARB is hard to beat fullstop, very happy with mine

Oh and I think its fookin heavy!!, even more so with a winch in it!!!.............2 person install "imo" to make sure it goes well, I used my engine crane to fit mine.

Last edited by Urban Panzer; 05-22-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Yea ARB bumpers are quality... You have to drill the extra holes.. I clipped a deer a few years back in my old disco There was nothing left of the deer, but the ARB bumper was fine... And most importantly so was the disco...

Old 05-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Three Wheeling

Yes. Among the "left over pieces" are the 4 long pinning bolts. I didnt have a lift and proper tool. But had to put the bumper on. I am aware that those are a must and will get them put in, hopefully with out taking anything off.
It was not so hard to install. But again I have no lift nor whole set of tools, not even a garage..
I guees i have to drill holes on the arb crash cans also. Mine had only 2 holes on each for these bolts, the bottom ones, while the instructions show both bottom and top holes.
The rest of the extras are small clips, screws and brackets for the lights. Which should come with instruction also, really, Lol.
You mean splice them into the wiring of the headlights? I doubt I will have to splice then inside the headlight by the blinkers.
My bumper is naked as of now. No winch no lights. But still heavy.....

Last edited by xhevi; 05-22-2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Three Wheeling

BTW.
Maybe i should have asked this question earlier, before I bought it.
Does anyone with ARB bumper ever gets any hassle from police, or passing inspection, or even dealers when you go for service, with that chunk of steel for a bumper?
Its intimidating lol.
If I see an ARB in my rear view mirror I will gladly move out the way.
I would not want that thing near my cars.

Last edited by xhevi; 05-22-2010 at 11:27 PM.