Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARP studs install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 06:19 AM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts
Default ARP studs install question

2003 D2

I'm considering using ARP studs for my upcoming head gasket project.

I saw a video on YouTube and it said you could not put in all the studs before installing the head. Their video showed they had the exhaust manifolds still on the cylinder heads when removing and re-installing them.

I like the ability to put the studs before and leave them overnight to let the lock tight set up.

Can anyone confirm if you can put in all the studs before the cylinder heads.

I don't mind installing the exhaust manifold until after the heads are in.

Thanks,

Old 02-21-2024, 08:14 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

I'm pretty sure I installed them all before I put the heads on.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

You can't get the driver's (LHD) head on or off with the studs in place. Drop heads on the install then install studs. Heads will hit the firewall if you try to install or remove them with studs screwed into the block.

I didn't try with with passenger side. Needed them pulled to clean the deck anyway.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

I just used new bolts when I did my head gasket job. I didn't see any reason to go to studs, especially since the left-hand head won't clear the firewall with studs

Old 02-21-2024, 11:41 AM
Rock Crawling

The driver's side (LHD) exhaust manifold side stud fits fine without issue on the 4.0 models. Not sure on the 4.6, the 4hp24 is a little longer so maybe the engine sits a little differently.

The trick to installing or removing the head studs is a good quality ball tip long Allen 3/8 drive.

Getting the torque wrench on it is a little challenging. 1/2 drive 5/8 socket. Swivel socket and 3" extension is what works for me.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:49 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this on my 2004 D2 back in September and installed the studs with my heads off. No issues, heads went back on just fine.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:19 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks maxcar13, just read the instruction from ARP. Recommended to not let the lock tight to set up before torquing the nuts.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I would not go with studs. They will not benefit you at all. I have seen a much higher instant failure rate from studs than from aftermarket TTY bolts.

Old 02-21-2024, 10:45 PM
Drifting
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RoverMasterTech
I would not go with studs. They will not benefit you at all. I have seen a much higher instant failure rate from studs than from aftermarket TTY bolts.
Aww, c'mon. All the cool kids use ARP studs. TTY bolts are for losers.

But serioiusly, I used TTY bolts 14 years ago and all is well. I don't understand the rationale for studs.

Old 02-22-2024, 10:23 AM
Rock Crawling

Studs are reusable and any idiot can easily follow the simple steps to torque down the studs.....I'm one of those idiots who'd rather not fool with tty

But I wouldn't want to use loctite with the studs on something I might have to go back into in the future. If the customer says please put it back together because my neighbor can do the head gaskets cheaper then sure, use loctite. Otherwise a stud that is hand tightened, then properly torqued to 80 ft/lbs isn't coming back loose unless you get the block so hot the aluminum gives. At that point a blown head gasket is the least of your worries.

I never used loctite on air cooled aluminum engines and these engines run around 300 degrees all the summer. The cylinder heads get even hotter . The only time we lose head gaskets is when someone obstructs the air intake, mice nest or grass has clogged cooling fins or it's running with broken or missing fan/fan shrouds. And these engines run 3300-3600 rpms for thousands of hours.

Last edited by PickleRick; 02-22-2024 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: ARP studs install question