Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARRRRGH!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARRRRGH!

I need to vent, and I figure you guys would understand.

My Disco II has been making 'fix me!' brake noise for about a week. Yesterday my wife says it was making a grind noise all the time in the right front. I finally had a free day today, so I got me some pads and went to work. The left front went great. New pads in place, and everything in nice a pretty. A little wear on the rotor, but I figure it will last until I have the cash to buy some new ones.

I move over to the right front, and discover that the brake pad has seperated. Yup. Broke loose, spun around on the rotor, and is wedged under the bottom edge of the caliper. Tore the crap out of the rotor, too. To make matters worse, this blew out the caliper, and judging by the look of it, I'm going to have to buy another one.

So, a quick morning job costing about $50 has now escalated into something that will likely take a week+ (while waiting for parts), and cost me nearly $300 (which I DON'T have . . .). Gotta love it.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: ARRRRGH!

I wish I knew how to change my own brakes. You know how much a dearler charges? Try $600+. I took my Disco to a local brake shop once, and they, the pros, f-ed it up so bad the thing nearly caught on fire. Got my money back and waddled to the dealer where they fleeced me over good. If you are doing a competent job for the cost of parts, you're the man. You can vent, but I'm sitting here considering you lucky.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Mudding
Default RE: ARRRRGH!

Thanks for the perspective. I was actually considering myself lucky for not taking it into the mechanic like I had originally intended. They would have found the same problem, and then it would have been trapped there for them to fix, likely at double what I'm paying now. So, yes, things could be worse.

Still sucks, though.