Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Asking for Power Steering Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Asking for Power Steering Advice

Recently it seems the power steering has become weak/non-existant. The rover has almost 180k on it 50k of which I've put on it. For all I know, the power steering components are original so I'm not surprised if it needs a new pump and hoses.

The fluid is dark and most likely needs to be flushed. I plan on starting there. It seems like there could be a leak due to some wet areas on some of the hoses, the steering box and drop arm but the fluid level never seems to drop. I'll be inspecting that better in the morning.

My Questions:
- How long can the steering box be expected to last? Can it be rebuilt? What are the common points/signs of failure?
- Is it necessary to replace the reservoir or can the integrated filter be cleaned?
- Is it worth trying to rebuild the pump, get a salvaged one or go for new?

Old 05-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

When I lost power steering in my truck, the power steering pump shaft had sheered off. I took the belt off and I could pull the pulley and shaft out of the pump body. I'm not saying that's your problem, just something to check.
Good luck.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Took it all apart today.

The pump gasket was in sorry shape but other than that, the internals seemed fine.

The reservoir filter was clogged up with black gunk. Not sure what the cause of that is.

The hoses seem to be ok. At least they don't seem to be leaking.

I'm thinking that the reduced flow from the reservoir and the leaky gasket are the culprit to my lack of power steering. Now I just have to get a rebuild kit or new pump and a reservoir that doesn't have holes poked in the filter from a turkey baster.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Should've been seeing significant return fluid flow to reservoir if filter/pump good. Your over due for reservoir change per D2 mx schedule. Assume that is because of non-serviceable filter. Spend the little extra for a new one.
https://landrovermerriamparts.com/parts/2001/Land%20Rover/Discovery/Series%20II%20SE?siteid=215719&vehicleid=203584§io n=STEERING&group=STEERING%20GEAR%20%26%20LINKAGE&s ubgroup=PUMP%20%26%20HOSES&component=P%2FS%20reser voir

• The Power Steering/ ACE fluid reservoir should be replaced at 150,000 miles
(250,000 kilometers)

Last edited by number9; 05-01-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any follow up on this? I have a similar issue, but power steering seems to work fine at speed (hard to tell I know since steering always gets easier with speed) or higher engine rpm. Slow speed, low rpm, steering is VERY heavy.

Can I test this by shifting in to neutral and making some turns with higher rpms?

I have PS fluid and a new belt to put on, but haven't had time to do so just yet.

New owner of an '03 SE, and starting to work my way through the 60k mile check (126k on the Disco), as well as a few other things...

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2016, 11:46 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Chasen7,

Just rev the engine in park and see if your steering gets easier. I had this issue a few months ago, and it was caused by a tired/worn pump. Increased RPM compensated for the reduced flow/pressure. Replaced with a junkyard unit, and all has been well since.

If you need to be moving for the steering to get easier, this is typical of total loss of power steering and may have a different cause. (though likely still a pump issue)

Old 06-20-2016, 11:59 AM
Three Wheeling

Thank you squirt, I'll give that a try first.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Looks like I'll need a new pump. Very hard to turn the wheel at idle in the garage. I give it 2000 rpm and it turns easily.

Thanks.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:24 AM
Three Wheeling

When I took the pump apart to change the gasket, I noticed the valve was stuck. This explains why it was hard to turn one way but not the other. I fixed that and proceeded to rebuild the pump with new gaskets. Unfortunately, when putting the rear cover back on, I noticed a crack formed in the cover and the pump was hard to turn. Not sure what happened there but I ended up buying a new pump and now everything works great without any leaks.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If I remember right, the shaft can move inside the pump. I have seen the rear covers get cracked like that before. You're probably better off with a new or rebuilt one anyway. They are such a simple design, but they're so easy to mess up. There's probably a certain measurement from the front of the shaft to the front of the pump or something like that. It sucks that you went to through all that just to have that happen.
Glad you got it working!
Thanks for posting the final fix.

Quick Reply: Asking for Power Steering Advice