Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assistance with purchase of D1

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 10:07 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance with purchase of D1

New member here from Georgia. First, a thanks for all the information available on these forums. Truly valuable.

I've been looking to buy a D1 for several weeks now. I've driven 8 in the last 10 days alone, each with their own issues. I'm made offers on many, but all have sold for just a little more than I wanted to spend. I don't think it's unreasonable to find one in the $3,500 range in good shape, but sellers seem to think differently

Anyhow, I'm getting frustrated and I'm about to just give in and pay full price for this one. Unfortunately, they're not willing to negotiate. Interested in any of your thoughts. This is far and away the best I've come across yet. Problem is, it's with a dealer, so I'll end up paying taxes (6%) and about $400 in fees on top of asking price. LR tech has checked it out and says it's in great shape with the exception of a typical coolant leak. All 'typical' problems listed in our checklist here all check out (locks, sunroof, gasket replaced, front drive shaft has been replaced even though it's not a D2 which I thought was interesting). The only thing that doesn't work is the remote door lock.

Interested in anyone's thoughts or advice. Should the search go on, or do I hang my head in defeat and pay the man. Thanks!

The ad says Series II SD7, but clearly it's a D1 LE.

http://bit.ly/8YU0wQ

Last edited by KCRich; 05-18-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my opinion but I think they are pushing the price. Here in Texas I bought the exact same disco for 3000 after TT&L. Mine is a 96 SE7, black exterior with beige interior. Only diff is the woodgrain trim. Mine is just black but I think it was replaced. Mine only had 10,000 more miles than yours when I bought it. Might consider looking out of state if you can't get in the price range you want. Good luck! Good things come to those who wait.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats an LE not an SD, which is an upgrade in trim level(worth slightly more). Does it have rear air/heat? I notice something funky up with the jump seat on the drivers side. Sticks out farther. Maybe because of rear ac/heat?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kenk
Thats an LE not an SD, which is an upgrade in trim level(worth slightly more). Does it have rear air/heat? I notice something funky up with the jump seat on the drivers side. Sticks out farther. Maybe because of rear ac/heat?
It does have rear air.

Regarding buying out of state, I realize that values differ by state/region, but in my opinion, it's important to drive and inspect these trucks before buying. I wouldn't be very comfortable buying sight-unseen.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:25 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kenk I didn't notice any difference in the interior but I could be wrong and my SE7 has rear heat/air. My driver side rear jump sticks out further than the pass side also. I have never had to get in behind it so not sure what is back there. The curved glass above the jumps is different also with the rear a/c because above the driver jump there is a plexiglass cover because the air is routed through that area between the outside glass and plexi. As far as buying out of state goes I would be hard pressed also but several people on here have done it. They find one that sounds promising, fly out, test drive it, and if they buy it they drive it home for a one of a kind bonding experience (especially if it is your first disco). But I understand that not everyone can afford to do that. I certainly can't. Anyway good luck finding your disco. Let us know when you get one and make sure you post pics.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep searching man, im in TX, and I found mine, 03 with 102K for $6700.. It was a steal for me.. No major problems at all, AND the PO just did a tune up the week before i picked it up. The tune included new wires, plugs and coil. the only thing i have done to it is the front DS and and the O2 sensor.

All in all, there are plenty of them out there, you just have to keep looking and you will find it.. If you rush it, you will more than likely find a POS that will give you nothing but problems from day 1.

Best of luck on your search.

Regards,

Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by discomedic4
Kenk I didn't notice any difference in the interior but I could be wrong and my SE7 has rear heat/air. My driver side rear jump sticks out further than the pass side also. I have never had to get in behind it so not sure what is back there. The curved glass above the jumps is different also with the rear a/c because above the driver jump there is a plexiglass cover because the air is routed through that area between the outside glass and plexi. As far as buying out of state goes I would be hard pressed also but several people on here have done it. They find one that sounds promising, fly out, test drive it, and if they buy it they drive it home for a one of a kind bonding experience (especially if it is your first disco). But I understand that not everyone can afford to do that. I certainly can't. Anyway good luck finding your disco. Let us know when you get one and make sure you post pics.
I should have said compared to a Disco w/out rear air. I dont have it, and my drivers jump seat folds flush like the passengers side. So I figured must have air back there.