Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attn PaulMC- ACE wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:27 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Attn PaulMC- ACE wiring?

Trying to make the most out of un-used wiring and relays in my truck and was wondering where the ACE power feed runs to? Id like to use it to power my ARB compressor which will likely be in the rear of the truck.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you want only Paul to answer this or what? Here is the diagram you need.
ACE wiring diagram.pdf

Old 07-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Mudding

No but he usually has very detailed pictures, wire gauges and descriptions of everything.
The wiring diagram is helpful, thanks!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vette427sbc
No but he usually has very detailed pictures, wire gauges and descriptions of everything.
The wiring diagram is helpful, thanks!
You are welcome. Did the diagram answer your questions? If you are trying to reach Paul directly you can try to PM him.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Mudding

Yes, but not all of them... I was really hoping to find out what kind of plug terminates the wiring on a non ACE car, and where I could find it so I dont go aimlessly searching for it. Figured it would be best to post a thread so others could see the info too if they were interested

Old 07-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Mudding

And instead of making another thread, does anyone know the power rating of the dash switches? Specifically the D1 switches? The solenoids on the compressor say 5W @ 12v and if my calculations are correct that would come out to a little under .5A draw
Maybe a worthwhile experiment since the switches are relatively cheap

Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And instead of making another thread, does anyone know the power rating of the dash switches? Specifically the D1 switches? The solenoids on the compressor say 5W @ 12v and if my calculations are correct that would come out to a little under .5A draw
use a relay.. never wire directly to the switch

Old 07-20-2014, 11:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trying to make the most out of un-used wiring and relays in my truck and was wondering where the ACE power feed runs to? Id like to use it to power my ARB compressor which will likely be in the rear of the truck.
Wouldn't the SLS compressor lead be more desirable? The SLS pump is on the outside frame rail on the left side of the truck.. you will see the bracket, and the wire will be tucked up there somewhere.

Old 07-20-2014, 06:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you mean ACE, or SLS (Self Levelling Suspension) ?

There are no decent sized power feeds with ACE, only low current feeds to the ACE ECU, and low voltage (5V) wires to the upper and lower accelerometers, with even lower voltage signal wires returning to the ACE ECU.

The wiring to the solenoid valves in the ACE block, are controlled by the ACE ECU - so, are of little use on their own.

However, the SLS system has a decent sized feed to the SLS compressor (mounted on the outside of the LH chassis rail), which is run from the engine compartment fuse box in 3.0mm˛ White/Black cable.

If your vehicle never had SLS from the factory, there will be no 3.0mm˛ White/Black cable in the chassis harness, from the engine compartment to the compressor location.

However, the single-way connector (C0579) for it is present on the underside of the fuse box on all vehicles, as is the 3.0mm˛ White/Black cable - but, only as far as the main harness/chassis harness connector junction C0376/C0390

If you wanted to manually control the SLS relay (R5) in the engine compartment fuse box, this is easily done.

In normal operation, the relay is controlled by the SLABS ECU, which supplies a live to the relay's terminal 85, via C0577-7 on the underside of the engine compartment fuse box.

You could use a switched live to C0577-7 to control R5, to switch an output on C0579. The supply to R5 comes via the 30A fusible link FL9, which may not be present in non-SLS vehicles (easily added).

You could pickup the live output directly at C0579 (I have the proper connectors for this) - or, add the missing terminal to C0390.

Adding the terminal to C0390 is probably the easiest and cheapest option.

I have terminals and wire seals to fit this connector - but it would easier and cheaper to get them yourself from a BMW dealer.

C0379 (female) and C0390 (male), are BMW 2-way sealed 2.5mm pin and socket connectors.

I have BMW part numbers for the terminals and seals, if you need them.

I would 2nd what 'primussucks' has said, and recommend that you use the D1 switches with a relay.

I dismantled a damaged (it didn't latch properly) D1 front fog lamps switch (AMR4138), and the insides weren't particularly impressive -

Name:  AMR41382.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  AMR41381.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  106.8 KB

Old 07-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Mudding

Im already using the SLS wiring and relay for my front spot lamps, the ACE is the only open relay left but if it isnt beefy enough for the compressor I wont use it. As for the switches, I will use a relay to power the compressor, but the solenoids only draw 5W @ 12v which should come out to .41 amps. I know, more than a regular relay coil, but I dont want to clutter up my wiring with relays if I dont have to. IMO, those contacts look like they might handle the .41amp draw of the solenoids. Im going to bench test that and report back.
Thanks for the replies!

EDIT:
My calculations were close... The solenoids draw 495mA. I grabbed a standard 12v 40A relay and the coil draws 125mA. Grabbing a switch now to test it

Last edited by vette427sbc; 07-21-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Attn PaulMC- ACE wiring?