Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux Light Switch for Driving Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aux Light Switch for Driving Lights?

I just purchased a pair of hella 500s and am going to get them installed soon. My question is, can I have them wired to my rear fog light switch and have them make it so I can turn them on at any time instead of just when I am in drive or do I need to get a new switch to pop in below that one? If I do need another switch, what part/s do I need (is it just a replacement switch that pops in or is there more to it such as a relay?) I have the wiring harness that came with the lights from atlantic british so it came with a relay and such. My second question is, I have the genuine brush bar for the series II and it appears as though I need spacers to install the lights correctly, do they make spacers or do I need to fab some? (the lights will only point up as there is not enough clearance in front of the lamps) I hope this makes sense and you guys can help! Thanks in advance!

Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aux Light Switch for Driving Lights?

The only switch that you could use is the cruise control. The others are momentary, meaning when you push the button it just sends a signal to turn the lights on. The Hella harness should have a green switch that lights when in use. I wired my off road lights straight to the battery so they can be used anytime.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So I have to use the switch that came with it? That doesn't make sense.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

You could use the factory rear fog light switch but without some major rewiring they would only turn on and off under the same conditions as the rear fogs. I would suggest getting a factory switch to pop in below the rear fogs switch and adapt the wiring harness you got from AB to work with it. The hardest part of that would be finding the plug that plugs in to that switch.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah dealing with the binnacle switches can be a pita. That green switch I have was used when the front fogs were installed by the PO. The fogs were also hooked to the factory binnacle but were tied to the ignition and low beam only. I removed those lights a while ago and actually didn't know what the green switch was until I got the off road HID's. Wiring the lights straight to the battery is the easiest way to use them anytime you want, whether the ignition is on or not.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used a factory "additional" lamp switch / cruise switchfor my Roof lights, and My car had the Aux lighting kitfrom thefactory for the front spots, but that is known to be VERYunreliable as its a momentary action switch and just worked when it felt like it. Now because all the wiring was there, I used a cruise switch as earlier mentioned, swapped the face with another additonal lamp switch., so Now both my roof lights and spotlights use factory additional"latching" switches.

My binnacle looks like this now

All the details are on my webpage

Old 09-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Panzer-Your steering wheel is on the wrong side!!! How did you magange that mod?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't, Im surprised Land Rover successfully switched it for you lot tbh !!!!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I remember the first time that I realized that everything could switch sides in a Rover. I think I could make mine RH drive in a weekend....

Old 09-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle

So unless I can find someone who really knows what they are doing or I figure it out myself, I am best off using the switch that came with the lights and just drill a hole in the dash?

Quick Reply: Aux Light Switch for Driving Lights?